Tomato Soup Recipe – This fresh, homemade tomato soup comes together quickly for a delicious, comforting classic. Ready in 15 minutes!
There are few things in life that make a classic comfort food like a bowl of tomato soup. It is comforting, delicious, and one of those dishes that just makes everything feel better. For years, I’ve been making this fresh, homemade tomato soup and I can safely say, it is still our absolute favorite.
Tomato Soup Recipe
How to Make Tomato Soup Recipe
To make my tomato soup, I start by drizzling a bit of olive oil into a heavy bottomed pot, such as a Dutch oven set over medium heat.
To the olive oil, I add tomatoes and any garlic, if I’m using it.
Next, I pour in my chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and add my seasonings of salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
My recipe is a little spicy, which I much prefer to a bland tomato soup. But if you don’t like your tomato soup spicy, just cut back a bit on the black pepper and omit the red pepper flakes. Taste as you go with the black pepper to make it just perfect for your taste buds.
I let my soup cook for about 10 minutes and then use my immersion blender to make my tomato soup smooth and creamy.
Then, I love to add a swirl of cream to the top of my soup or even stir a bit into the bowl and top with a bit of fresh basil or parsley for garnish.
What to Serve with Tomato Soup
- Grilled Cheese – We love our soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich! Our absolute favorite is of Pimento Cheese and it is amazing.
- Oyster Crackers
- Garlic Bread
Here’s my Tomato Soup Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Tomato Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 (32-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- garnish: basil leaves and heavy cream optional
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot set over medium-high heat.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and garlic, if using. Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and puree soup.
- Serve with an optional garnish of basil leaves and a splash of half-and-half.