This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Double chocolate cupcakes make for a delicious sweet treat! Rich chocolate cupcakes topped with white chocolate buttercream and salted caramel are a definite favorite!
There are times when dessert calls for chocolate. Chocolate cupcakes to be exact. Whenever I make them, I always start with my favorite chocolate cake recipe. That recipe has never failed me and I can whisk it together in a bowl without having to even think about pulling out a mixer! Thankfully, even as simple as it is to make, it is one of those desserts that my whole family (and a whole lot of friends) love just as much as I do. And when I make cupcakes, it is always a good idea to make something that other people love so I don’t eat them all myself! Ha!
To make the cupcakes, sometimes I turn to this recipe sized down for just the perfect dozen chocolate cupcakes or if for a crowd I’ll go ahead and bake the full chocolate cake recipe which makes 36. Because, well, you know, there is always someone to share cupcakes with… don’t you think?
And lately, I’ve been absolutely loving my white chocolate buttercream frosting that I shared a while back. Since you can never have too much chocolate, I thought it was a good thing to use with these chocolate cupcakes, but then, I felt like they looks just a wee bit boring. Don’t get me wrong, they wouldn’t have tasted boring – not by any means, but they just lacked a little bit of oomph to serve for dessert with friends.
So, I whipped up a quick salted caramel sauce, chopped up a dark chocolate bar and sprinkled on some toffee bits and called these babies done!
Boy, oh boy, are they ever delicious!
Here’s how I made them. The links are the full recipes for those items used in these cupcakes. I think you will love these little bites of heaven as much as we do!
Double Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 chocolate cake recipe
- 1 white chocolate buttercream recipe
- 2 1/4 cups salted caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside. Mix cake batter together as instructed in recipe and divide equally into prepared muffin tins. Cupcake liners should be about 3/4ths full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- As cupcakes are cooling, prepare white chocolate buttercream frosting. Once cupcakes are cooled, frost cupcakes and then drizzle 1 tablespoon of salted caramel sauce over each cupcake. Sprinkle cupcakes with chopped dark chocolate and toffee bits.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
They sure look as delicious as you made them sound!! I could use one to wake up 🙂
This is a chocolate lover’s dream come true! They look absolutely perfect!
This is an amazing chocolate cake, I made it once before and am going to make it again tomorrow. It is delicious and moist I shared it with several friends and they loved it. A must have, thank you so much for sharing this. Jacque
Happy you enjoy the cake, Jacque! Thanks so much! xo
I have made this chocolate cake with the classic vanilla buttercream frosting. It is the most moist decadent cake I’ve ever tasted and made. Thank you for sharing. This will be on repeat. Making it next for my daughters birthday cake.
I, too, love these cupcakes with the vanilla buttercream frosting, Nancy. Hope your daughter has a happy birthday and enjoys her cake. Thanks!