This Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe is perfect for weeknight suppers or Sunday dinners! It is a quick and easy, delicious favorite the whole family loves!
Mama made this cheesy cauliflower recipe on a regular basis while I was growing up. It was one of my favorite side dishes that she made way back when and is now one of my family’s favorites as well!
When I asked Mama how she first started making it, she said that the recipe came along with her very first microwave back in the day. She said it was just such an easy dish for her to make for supper after she got home from a long day of work at the hospital. She kept making it because we loved it so much!
I have to tell you though. When I was a much younger, we didn’t call it by the name that the recipe is titled here. We called it brains. I’m not certain who started calling it that when I was a little girl, but for some reason, it stuck and that’s what I immediately think of whenever I pull the cauliflower out of the refrigerator to make it. Somewhere along the line, I shared the story with Sam as a little fella and so now that’s what he calls it, too. 🙂
No matter what you call it though, Just give it a try. It is out of this world delicious and so stinking easy you won’t believe it! While our favorite way to make it is using the good ole microwave method, I’ve included the cooktop method if you’d prefer to use it. Either way it is fabulous!
Here’s our favorite way to make Easy Cheesy Cauliflower. Give it a try, I think you’ll love it, too!
Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Core cauliflower and place in a 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl. Add water and cover.
- Place in microwave and cook on High for 9 minutes. Remove from microwave and drain.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed. Spoon over top and sides of cauliflower. Sprinkle cheese over top and sides.
- MIcrowave on 50% power for 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place cored cauliflower in steamer basket in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover bottom of pan by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and steam until fork tender, about 12 minutes. Drain; remove from saucepan and place cauliflower in a shallow baking dish.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed. Spoon over top and sides of cauliflower. Sprinkle cheese over top and sides and place in oven. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Excellent And Simple!
Just made this for dinner and husband who generally does not like veggies….loved it! I did too. We ate 1/2 the dish… and seconds, and that rarely happens. So good. Mixed some mayo and greek yogurt since I think yogurt is a little more healthy. Will make again and for company. Yummy for sure. Thanks.
Made this for last night’s dinner. I used the microwave method.
It’s a really simple and quick method for preparing cauliflower.
But… for my taste, the mayonnaise was overpowering.
Next time I cook this, I’ll cut the mayonnaise in half or try the Greek yogurt.
If you don’t care for the mayonnaise, you can use Greek yogurt or you might want to try my Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe that you make in a skillet on the stovetop. It does not contain mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt. Thanks.
Omg this was AMAZING!!!!
Thanks, Paola. I’m so glad you liked it.
Great, easy recipe. Didn’t have garlic powder, so used 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and did not add any more salt. Didn’t have onion powder either, so substituted thyme. It turned out great anyway. Will plan ahead to have all of right ingredients next time.
Thanks, MaryLouise. It sounds like you figured out how to make this with the ingredients you had. So glad you liked it. xo
Same as you, we got this recipe with our first microwave – Your mom probably got a Kenmore, too! So simple and still a favorite to this day!
Mama said it probably was a Kenmore microwave. We still love this dish. Thanks!
OMG! I remember this recipe from when we first got our Kenmore microwave. They offered a free cooking class when you purchased a microwave and this was one of the recipes they used!! I am so glad you posted it so I can make it again.
I loved this cauliflower when I was growing up and my mother made it for us, Connie. I hope you enjoy it now.
I discovered this recipe this week, and made it according to directions. It was a HUGE hit, and my husband isn’t a big cauliflower fan. It was way too simple to fix and unbelievably delicious.
Shirley, this recipe has been a hit around my house for years. I’m so glad your husband liked it, too. Thanks!
Holy moly – I just made and ate this for dinner tonite – it was super easy and absolutely delicious! I sprinkled dill weed in with the mayo mixture – will make this over and over again! Simple and delicious!
I’m so happy you enjoyed this recipe, Cynthia. Don’t you love how easy it is to make?