This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri sauce practically melts in your mouth! Simple to prepare and grill, this recipe is delicious perfection!
If there is one thing I can depend on at my house, it is that whenever we heat up the grill, we all gather round. Especially when we are grilling something as amazing as this Grilled Flank Steak! I’m not sure if it is the smell of the charcoal that lures everyone to the back porch or just the atmosphere, but there we all are somewhat patiently waiting on the delicious food.
While this recipe can be made inside with a grill pan, we enjoy taking full advantage of nice sunny weather to grill outdoors. You bet we jump at the chance to cook our favorites like this Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri.
Flank Steak is a long, relatively thin cut of beef that when cooked properly practically melts in your mouth! I love to serve my recipe with this chimichurri sauce, for a family favorite recipe we all enjoy.
Flank steak has been a favorite at my house for some time. It is just so versatile! From using in fajitas, salads, wraps, and such to slathering sauces on top and eating with a side of roasted vegetables or Sam’s favorite – sweet potato fries!
How to Make Grilled Flank Steak
To make this recipe, I prepare a very simple marinade and let the steak marinate in the refrigerator for an hour up to overnight. I’ve learned that the longer that the steak marinates, the more flavor it has once it has cooked. So, I prefer at least six to eight hours.
For this flank steak recipe, I use a marinade made of a few simple ingredients – Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, and chopped fresh parsley and fresh cilantro. It works perfectly with the chimichurri recipe that I shared a while back!
While the grill is heating, I remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature. Then, onto the grill for cooking. You’ll grill on one side for about three minutes and then quickly turn to the other for about three minutes. Then, reduce the heat of the grill to medium heat and allow to grill for about five more minutes until the flank steak reaches the desired internal temperature. Then, tent the steak and allow to rest on a cutting board for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Now, if you just can’t wait for a warm day to have this, you can use your grill pan or even a cast iron skillet. The cooking times are the same.
Here’s my Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Recipe. I hope you enjoy it on those fair weather days as much as we do!
Grilled Flank Steak Recipe with Chimichurri
- 1 2-pound flank steak
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Add flank steak to a glass or non-reactive flat dish or sealable bag. Whisk together Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, parsley and cilantro. Pour over flank steak, making sure well coated. Cover with plastic wrap or seal bag and store flat in the refrigerator for 6 – 8 hours to overnight.
- About 30 minutes prior to grilling, remove flank steak from the refrigerator and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Coat lightly with oil to prevent the flank steak from sticking. Once preheated, cook the flank steak for 3 minutes on one side, flip over with tongs and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the flank steak reaches 130º – 140º F, about 5 more minutes. Remove from grill, tent with foil and allow to rest on a cutting board for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Slice thinly and serve with chimichurri sauce.