This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make easy homemade applesauce on the stovetop or the Instant Pot! Made with just 2 ingredients, this applesauce can be made chunky or smooth! Perfect for the whole family!
This fresh and delicious homemade Applesauce is such a simple treat. Yet, in its simplicity, it’s absolutely scrumptious and always a favorite in our home, as well as many others. It’s very easy to make with just two ingredients and by two methods – either by stovetop or Instant Pot.
When Sam was a very little boy, this applesauce was one of his favorite things that I made for him. He had terrible colic as a baby. We spent our nights in a recliner so that I could hold him in an elevated position with a warm towel on his tummy. During those evenings as I snuggled him, I counted his eyelashes, memorized every feature of his sweet little face, and prayed for him. I think those nights were some of the most important as a new mother and I’m thankful I was able to experience them.
So, as he began eating foods, you can understand why I took the utmost care to make sure I knew every little thing that was in his food. And thankfully, he absolutely LOVED this applesauce!
With only two ingredients, it is simple to prepare and have ready in minutes. I don’t add any sugar to the applesauce as it is naturally sweetened from the apples. You can add a bit of sugar if you’d like your applesauce sweeter. It’s also delicious customized with additional spices and flavors if you wish.
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
To make my easy homemade applesauce, you’ll only need two ingredients. You’ll need:
- water, apple juice or apple cider
What are the best apple to use for making applesauce?
I use a blend of sweet and tart apples in my applesauce recipe. This way, I have the perfect combination of applesauce that tastes like the best apples, without having to add any sugar or other sweeteners to my recipe.
For the sweet apples, I like to use Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala. For the tart apples, I use Granny Smith.
You can use your favorite method for making this applesauce recipe: stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
Place apple slices and the liquid of choice (water, apple juice or apple cider) into a Dutch oven. Then simmer the apples until they are easily mashed with the back of a spoon, about 30 minutes.
Remove cooked apples from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the applesauce to the desired consistency – from chunky to smooth.
Instant Pot Applesauce
First, add the apple slices and the liquid to the Instant Pot.
Secure the lid and cook the apples for 5 minutes at high pressure. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Move the venting to quick release to release any additional pressure and then remove the lid.
When the apples are cooked, I like to use an immersion blender to blend the applesauce.
You can also transfer your cooked apples to a blender or food processor to process until smooth.
Then just serve and enjoy!
Additional Flavor Options
add ¼ – ½ cup brown sugar as you add your apples
add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
Apple Pie Applesauce
add ½ teaspoon apple pie spice as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
How to Freeze
Once cooked, allow to cool completely. Portion into freezer-safe container(s) and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Stir to combine well and serve.
How to Use Applesauce Substitute in Baking
Many times as we begin baking, we need to use a substitute for dietary restrictions and preferences as well as in the event of ingredient shortages. I’ve included a list of how you can use applesauce as a substitute in recipes.
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce = 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce = 1 cup oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce = 1 cup butter
Makes about 1 ½ quarts.
Here’s my homemade applesauce recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- 6 large apples 3 sweet apples and 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup water, apple juice, or apple cider
Stovetop Applesauce Recipe
- Add apple slices to a large Dutch oven. Add water, apple juice or apple cider and simmer on low until apples are easily mashed with the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to process until the applesauce reaches the consistency you prefer.
Instant Pot Applesauce Recipe
- Add apple slices to Instant Pot. Add water, apple juice or apple cider. Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure. Allow the pressure to naturally release. Carefully remove the lid, check that the apples easily mashed with the back of a spoon. Use an immersion blender and process until the applesauce reaches the consistency you prefer.
- to sweeten:
add ¼ – ½ cup brown sugar as you add your apples.
- Cinnamon Applesauce: add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
- Apple Pie Applesauce: add ½ teaspoon apple pie spice as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.