Learn how to make easy homemade applesauce! Made with just 2 ingredients, this applesauce can be made chunky or smooth! Perfect for the whole family!
When Sam was a little squirt, this applesauce was one of his favorite things that I made and fed him. You see, he had terrible colic as a baby that the pediatricians never diagnosed as colic, but every mother to which I described how he cried would say, “he’s colicky.” We spent our nights in a recliner so that I could hold him in an elevated position with a warm towel on his tummy. It was the only way he could sleep, so we rocked and snuggled and warmed and rewarmed towels.
I’m not complaining. During those evenings, I snuggled him, counted his eyelashes one by one, memorized every feature of his sweet little face, nuzzled his hair, and prayed for him. I had him all to myself during those wee hours and I think those nights were some of the most important as a new mother. I learned more in those all nighters than I ever did in the classes before he was born. And other than never wanting him to be uncomfortable, and bemoaning the creation of permanent dark circles under my eyes, those are nights for which I am thankful I was able to experience. And then, as if a miracle happened, we both slept through an entire night and then another and another.
So, you can understand that as he began eating foods, I took the utmost care to make sure I knew every little thing that was in his food. I was hyper focused on it, some would say. Ha!
Thankfully, he absolutely loved this applesauce. With only two ingredients, it is simple to prepare and have ready in minutes. Naturally sweetened from the apples, I do not add any sugar to my applesauce. Of course, you can if you’d like your applesauce sweeter and you can also customize it with additional spices and flavors if you like.
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
To make my easy homemade applesauce, you’ll only need two ingredients. You’ll need:
- water, apple juice or apple cider
What are the best apple to use for making applesauce?
I use a blend of sweet and tart apples in my applesauce recipe. This way, I have the perfect combination of applesauce that tastes like the best apples, without having to add any sugar or other sweeteners to my recipe.
For the sweet apples, I like to use Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala. For the tart apples, I use Granny Smith.
You can use your favorite method for making this applesauce recipe: stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
For the stovetop applesauce, I place my apple slices and the liquid of choice (water, apple juice or apple cider) into a Dutch oven and simmer the apples until the are easily mashed with the back of a spoon, about 30 minutes. Then, I remove them from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the applesauce to the consistency we prefer – from chunky to smooth.
Instant Pot Applesauce
For the Instant Pot applesauce, I add my apple slices and the liquid to the Instant Pot. I secure the lid and cook the apples for 5 minutes at high pressure. I then allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. I move the venting to quick release to release any additional pressure and then remove the lid. I use an immersion blender to blend the applesauce and serve.
You can also transfer your cooked apples to a blender or food processor to process until smooth.
Additional Flavor Options
add 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar as you add your apples
add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
Apple Pie Applesauce
add 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
Here’s my homemade applesauce recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- 6 large apples 3 sweet apples and 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup water, apple juice, or apple cider
Stovetop Applesauce Recipe
- Add apple slices to a large Dutch oven. Add water, apple juice or apple cider and simmer on low until apples are easily mashed with the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to process until the applesauce reaches the consistency you prefer.
Instant Pot Applesauce Recipe
- Add apple slices to Instant Pot. Add water, apple juice or apple cider. Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure. Allow the pressure to naturally release. Carefully remove the lid, check that the apples easily mashed with the back of a spoon. Use an immersion blender and process until the applesauce reaches the consistency you prefer.
- to sweeten:
add 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar as you add your apples.
- Cinnamon Applesauce: add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.
- Apple Pie Applesauce: add 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice as you add your apples to the Dutch oven.