Lemon Buttermilk Waffles have quickly become one of my favorite ways to spruce up my buttermilk waffle recipe. They add just the right amount of freshness and spark to the buttermilk waffle recipe I developed and have used for years.
To prepare the batter, I’ve modified my buttermilk waffle recipe with the change of utilizing whole milk instead of buttermilk. Then, you’ll add the juice of two large lemons and allow it to sit for about five minutes to allow the milk to begin forming a homemade buttermilk substitute. I’ve also scaled down this recipe to serve four, instead of the large batch recipe I provide for my buttermilk waffles.
Preparing the lemon to add to the light and fluffy batter immediately perks up the entire kitchen as you are zesting and juicing the lemon. It’s definitely an irresistible smell!
The flavor of these Lemon Buttermilk Waffles goes perfectly with warmed maple syrup and immediately makes you think of spring and summer.
If you enjoy lemon, these waffles definitely need to be on your must-try list soon.
They are out of this world delicious.
Here’s how I make my Lemon Buttermilk Waffle Recipe.
Lemon Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of two lemons
- Mix together whole milk and lemon juice. Set aside and allow to stand for five minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk together flour, salt, sugar, lemon zest, and baking soda.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and melted butter into milk mixture and lightly beat with a fork until well-combined.
- Pour milk mixture into dry mixture and stir together just until combined.
- Lightly spray top and bottom of waffle iron and preheat iron.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook to your iron's instructions.
- Serve immediately with your favorite maple syrup.