This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are full of bright lemon flavor and are the perfect way to get the morning started! I love how just a little bit of the poppy seeds make the pancakes seem so festive and fun, too!
These pancakes are right there at the top of my favorites list alongside my lemon blueberry pancakes recipe I’ve shared previously. There’s just something about the subtle burst of citrus in both of these recipes mingled with the sweetness of the pancake and warm maple syrup that I just love. Heaven!
This recipe begins by using my go-to buttermilk pancakes recipe. I then use lemon juice in whole milk in place of buttermilk as a substitute to amp up the lemon flavor. To add even more lemon flavor, I add in the zest of one lemon as well. Of course, if you prefer even more lemon flavor, you can increase the amount of zest you use in your pancakes based on your preference.
Who knew that two simple additions could make a pancake recipe so special! If you love lemon poppy seed anything, you’ll adore this pancake recipe. YUM!
Here’s my Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes Recipe. Make them soon!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted + butter for griddle and serving
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Combine dry ingredients and gently whisk through to mix.
- Add lemon juice to whole milk and let stand for about five minutes to create a buttermilk substitute.
- Add eggs and melted butter to milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Add in poppy seeds and lemon zest and gently stir to combine.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Prepare griddle with butter. Drop ¼ cup scoops of batter onto griddle. Cook about 2 minutes, until pancake has cooked on the bottom and set on top. Flip once.
- Top with a touch of butter while still piping hot.
- Serve hot with your favorite maple or pancake syrup