This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Recently when I shared my recipe for the lemon waffles, Jennett commented that she did not have a waffle iron and asked if she could make them as pancakes. I knew I just had to share this version of my buttermilk pancakes.
You’ll just need a few basic ingredients for the base of this recipe, but instead of buttermilk I use the juice of two lemons (2 tablespoons) in with my whole milk to create a buttermilk substitute. I think this deepens the lemony flavor in this recipe and is a great way to use the lemon since you’ll also need its zest for this recipe. You’ll also need a cup of fresh blueberries – not frozen.
These pancakes are light, fluffy and stuffed full of lemon and blueberry goodness.
But beware, once you make them, you’ll start getting requests for them left and right!
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups flour self-rising
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted + butter for griddle and serving
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- Combine dry ingredients and gently whisk through to mix.
- Add lemon juice to whole milk and let stand for about five minutes to create a buttermilk substitute.
- Add eggs and melted butter to milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Add in blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir to combine.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Prepare griddle with butter. Drop ¼ cup scoops of batter onto griddle. Cook about 2 minutes, until pancake has cooked on the bottom and set on top. Flip once.
- Top with a touch of butter while still piping hot.
- Serve hot with your favorite maple or pancake syrup.