Lemon Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Recently when I shared my recipe for the lemon waffles, Jennett commented that she did not have a waffle iron and asked if she could make them as pancakes. I knew I just had to share this version of my buttermilk pancakes.
You’ll just need a few basic ingredients for the base of this recipe, but instead of buttermilk I use the juice of two lemons (2 tablespoons) in with my whole milk to create a buttermilk substitute. I think this deepens the lemony flavor in this recipe and is a great way to use the lemon since you’ll also need its zest for this recipe. You’ll also need a cup of fresh blueberries – not frozen.
These pancakes are light, fluffy and stuffed full of lemon and blueberry goodness.
But beware, once you make them, you’ll start getting requests for them left and right!
- 2 cups flour, self-rising
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted + butter for griddle and serving
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- Combine dry ingredients and gently whisk through to mix.
- Add lemon juice to whole milk and let stand for about five minutes to create a buttermilk substitute.
- Add eggs and melted butter to milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Add in blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir to combine.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Prepare griddle with butter. Drop ¼ cup scoops of batter onto griddle. Cook about 2 minutes, until pancake has cooked on the bottom and set on top. Flip once.
- Top with a touch of butter while still piping hot.
- Serve hot with your favorite maple or pancake syrup.