This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Stromboli makes an easy family favorite recipe! Stuffed with meat, cheese, and vegetables, or whatever you prefer, a Stromboli is then rolled and baked to perfection!
Stromboli is traditionally made with Italian bread dough, but I fell in love with the Stromboli served at a pizza restaurant we love. There, they make their their version using pizza dough, which my son prefers more than the bread version. So, now, in our house, this is how we make ours too!
How to Make Stromboli Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and then begin with pizza dough. For this, I love to use my homemade pizza dough recipe and like to keep a stash of it in my freezer. I just let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. But you can also use a pre-made pizza dough from your grocery store deli.
Next, divide the dough in half, press it out like making a pizza onto the parchment paper and set aside.
Then add the sausage to a skillet over medium heat. Next, break apart with a wooden spoon and stir in onion, garlic, and all peppers. Cook until the sausage has browned and cooked throughout and the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
Then spoon half of sausage mixture, making sure to drain off as much of the excess oil drippings as possible, on one dough and the remaining on the second dough. Add ham, pepperoni, cheeses, and spinach to the sausage mixture and then roll the dough into a cylinder. Make sure to enclose all the ingredients inside the rolled dough.
Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven. Mix melted butter and minced garlic together and brush on top of the Stromboli.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven for 5-8 more minutes to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Then slice into thick slices, serve and watch them get devoured! I also like to serve homemade Marinara with it sometimes too!
If you have hungry folks around your house or are looking for an easy as can be recipe to serve while watching the game at home or tailgating, let me tell you, this is it! It’s always a favorite whenever I serve it!
Here’s my Stromboli Recipe. I know you are going to just love it!
- 1 pizza dough
- 1/2 pound italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 2 clove garlics minced
- 1 red pepper sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno pepper deseeded and sliced thinly
- 1/4 pound sliced ham
- 1/4 pound pepperoni slices
- provolone cheese
- mozzarella cheese
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide pizza dough in half and spread out on parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add sausage to skillet over medium heat. Break apart with a wooden spoon and stir in onion, garlic, and all peppers. Cook until the sausage has browned and cooked throughout and the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Spoon half of sausage mixture, draining off as much of the excess drippings as possible, on one dough and the remaining on the second dough. Add ham, pepperoni, cheeses, and spinach to the sausage mixture and then roll the dough into a cylinder. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven. Mix melted butter and minced garlic together and brush on top of the stromboli.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven for 5-8 more minutes to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Then slice into thick slices and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Love this. It’s been a while since I’ve had Stromboli, now I’m totally craving it!!
I was first introduced to this magnificent appetizer when I worked as a server at Boston Pizza. They had these on the menu and I became obsessed with them. Sooo yummy and one of the most popular items on the menu! 😀
I need to make this ASAP!
I love stromboli and haven’t had it in a while. Can’t wait to try this recipe.
This looks so incredibly yummy! I love stromboli! And hey, no shame in using store bought dough! It’s one of my favorite shortcuts too!
This looks awesome…what a great idea! This would be great at a party for sure…thanks for sharing!
This turned about wonderfully! The combination of ingredients is perfect. My family thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks so much!
Wow, looks delicious! I have a quick question if you have a second to answer. Do you spread the toppings around the whole crust before rolling it up, or do you bunch all the toppings together in a heap and roll the dough around them? Thank you 🙂
I just layer my toppings and then roll the dough around them, making sure that the dough is securely closed so that when it bakes it all stays inside. I hope that helps! 🙂
Hi do you think this could be made ahead and kept in the fridge or freezer until baking day? Thanks!
I think it will be fine to make the day before and refrigerate until baking. If you freeze them, just let them thaw completely in the fridge before you bake. Enjoy them, Marianne! Thanks!