The basic, perfect pizza dough is no longer an elusive mystery. And I have another secret to share with you, it can be ready in minutes rather than the hours many recipes take. And that’s a good thing when we decide late in the day we want to enjoy a few movies on the porch.
How you ask? Well, I’m about to show you.
Sprinkle yeast over warm water. Allow to stand while mixing next ingredients.
Pour together flour and salt. Lightly run a whisk through the dry ingredients to combine well.
Drizzle olive oil into dry ingredients using the dough hook attachment of your mixer.
Add in the honey.
Oh yum. Love good honey.
Add in yeast mixture.
Combine all of the ingredients until a soft ball forms. Do not over mix your dough or it will be tough.
Pour olive oil into glass or stainless steel bowl and make sure all surface area is covered.
I always add another little drizzle to my dough.
Gently knead the dough and form a ball in the center of your bowl.
Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel and place into a 175 – 200 degree oven.
Allow dough to double in bulk. Punch down and return to oven covered with a damp kitchen towel.
Allow to rise again in 200 degree oven.
Remove dough from oven when it has again doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. Place half of dough on a baking pan that has been lightly dusted with corn meal to prevent any sticking.
Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings and enjoy.
Perfect Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast, active or rapid rise
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- corn meal for dusting
- Sprinkle yeast on top of the warm water. Allow the yeast to sit while you prepare other ingredients.
- Combine the flour and sea salt in the bowl of stand mixer or food processor. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, then honey, then yeast and water mixture. Combine until forms a soft ball.
- Drizzle olive oil into a glass or metal bowl, being sure to cover the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough ball from mixer or food processor and place dough into the prepared bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and place in an oven for about 10 minutes to double in size.
- Remove from oven and punch the dough down. Cover again with a damp cloth and return to 200-degree oven.
- Allow the dough to rise again, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from oven and divide in half. Place one-half of the dough onto a pan that has been lightly dusted with corn meal.
- Top with favorite pizza toppings and bake in an oven or on the grill for approximately 20 minutes until crust has turned a light golden brown.