This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Peppered Buttermilk Biscuits make a delicious additional to any biscuit recipe box. Great served with savory dishes, as a sandwich biscuit, and to add a pop of flavor.
Peppered buttermilk biscuits where have you been all my life? I remember growing up, Mama would make buttermilk biscuits routinely, but I never remember her adding a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper to their tops. If she had, I think I would have always had them this way.
The other night for supper, I made Country Fried Steak and Gravy. It was a comfort meal and I definitely needed it. Well, my hips didn’t need it, but my heart did. You see, my Grandmother Earlene hasn’t been doing well for the last little while since she fell and broke her hip. Things have progressively gotten a worse.
While we were waiting in the hospital one of the many days, we started talking about my Grandmother’s biscuits. I couldn’t remember having any of Grandmother’s biscuits that she’d made other than what she called large cat-head biscuits slathered with peach preserves. By the way, she makes the best peach preserves in all the land and we are all now on a mission to find her recipe.
Anyway, as we were talking about her biscuits, my aunt mentioned how Grandmother’s biscuits were her all time favorites. I remembered that Grandmother made her biscuits with just a few simple ingredients and effortlessly. I always had a certain spot to stand where I would watch Grandmother making her biscuits – at the very best vantage point to talk and watch her
When I came home that evening, I made supper and decided to make Grandmother Earlene’s biscuits, too. Right before I popped them into the oven, I brushed them with buttermilk and sprinkled freshly ground pepper on their tops. Grandmother loved black pepper and had a heavy hand with it in so many of her savory recipes that I feel sure she went through the black pepper like I do butter. She rarely used salt, but always, always used plenty of pepper.
I just wish I could spend another afternoon in Grandmother’s kitchen and show her how to add that little peppered touch at the end. It really does make all the difference and I’m sure it is a little change she would have loved.
Peppered Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk + enough for brushing
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Add flour to a large bowl and cut butter in with two forks or a pastry blender. Add in buttermilk and mix lightly until combined.
- Pour onto a floured surface and knead three or four times. Pat into to 1/2-inch thickness and cut the dough with a large biscuit cutter or simply cut with a floured knife or bench scraper to make large square biscuits.
- Place onto large baking sheet pan. Brush the tops of the biscuits with buttermilk and then sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do now. They are great with so many dishes and that little sprinkle of black pepper sure does add a whole new dimension to biscuits. But, you’ll also love my regular Southern Buttermilk Biscuits, if you haven’t already given them a try.