Skillet BBQ Chicken makes a delicious, easy meal perfect for Sunday suppers or weeknight meals.
This Skillet BBQ Chicken is a flavorful dish that my family always loves. I love that it uses ingredients that I generally always keep on hand.
It is always a major hit with my family, even my picky little eater enjoyed it. I just didn’t serve as much of the BBQ sauce on his plate.
This skillet BBQ chicken would make a fantastic meal to serve when company visits. It’s one of those meals that you can start, do a few things to it, pop it in the oven, and then walk away from for a while and it just turns into the most magical meal. Tender chicken that just falls apart when you touch it with a fork and a BBQ sauce that has a hint of a kick at the end of it from the sriracha sauce, which we just lovingly call Rooster Sauce here. You just can’t go wrong with that tender, falling apart, spicy BBQ combination in my book.
I served it with old fashioned buttered potatoes and English peas as a throwback to my own childhood meals where eating my “circle green beans” was a serious bone of contention. Who am I to deprive my child of those memories? Or myself of stating all the reasons why you should eat English peas? It’s a part of life I definitely don’t want to skip.
Now, I urge you, grab some chicken thighs and rooster sauce at the grocery store this week and make this skillet BBQ chicken soon. It is crazy good.
Here’s my recipe.
Skillet BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 18 ounces BBQ sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken thighs and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook until just translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce, and water. Cook about 5 minutes on stove top to reduce. Add salt and pepper.
- Add chicken back to skillet, including the juices. Cover with a lid or wrap tightly with aluminum foil and cook in preheated oven for an hour.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.