The BEST Homemade Sloppy Joe recipe is made with ground beef, onion, and bell pepper in a flavorful BBQ sauce and served on toasted buns. This makes an easy 30-minute meal perfect for busy weeknights and easy weekends.
If you want an inexpensive yet delicious meal that the whole family loves, this easy Sloppy Joe Recipe is a classic. The ground beef is sauteed in a skillet along with diced green pepper and onion and then simmers in my flavorful BBQ sauce for the ultimate sloppy joe!
How to Make Sloppy Joe Recipe
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- Ground beef – I love to use ground chuck, which is an 80/20 blend (80% lean, 20% fat). The ratio of lean beef to fat makes a difference for flavorful Sloppy Joes.
- Green pepper and onion – Diced green pepper and onion add crunch and flavor to the sandwich.
- BBQ sauce – While many people use tomato sauce or ketchup, I prefer to use my BBQ sauce recipe. It adds so much flavor and once I started making them that way, I just can’t make them any other way!
- Hamburger buns – I love to toast my hamburger buns, but that certainly isn’t required!
Cook. Add the ground beef, pepper, and onion to a skillet over medium heat. Cook until all the ground beef is browned and the onion is translucent about 5 minutes. Drain away any excess drippings.
Add BBQ sauce. Stir in the BBQ sauce.
Simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce has reduced and the meat mixture is thick, about 10 minutes.
Serve. Spoon the sloppy joe filling onto hamburger buns.
To make ahead. Prepare the filling as instructed. Cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze. Prepare the filling as instructed. Cool and store in a freezer-safe, airtight container for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a skillet on the stove and serve.
Here’s my Sloppy Joe Recipe. I hope you love it!
Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Cook. Add the ground beef, pepper, and onion to a skillet over medium heat. Cook until all the ground beef is browned and the onions are translucent about 5 minutes. Drain away any excess drippings.
- Add sauce. Stir in the BBQ Sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce has reduced and the meat mixture is thick about 10 minutes.
- Serve. Spoon the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the toasted hamburger buns.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.