This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The ultimate coconut cake recipe for coconut lovers! Made with coconut cream, coconut milk, coconut whipped cream and topped with coconut flake! This coconut cake recipe has it all!
I couldn’t believe my ears. “Actually, don’t worry about making a cake. It’ll be okay not to have a birthday cake this year.” How in the world would it be possible for me not to have a birthday cake for my husband’s birthday? We’d had a busy, hectic last couple of weeks and our entire family was just, well, ready for a relaxing weekend. But, to sacrifice a birthday cake? Not gonna happen. In my way of thinking, you only are blessed with so many birthdays in your lifetime and each one should be celebrated to the max. I don’t mean huge blow out parties with tons of people, unless that’s your thing. For us though, simple, classic birthdays spent together with a favorite meal, our immediate family are about as perfect as they come. But, they have to be topped off with a cake. Always cake.
One of my husband’s favorite cakes has always been the Southern Coconut Cake that I shared eons ago. It’s a classic, delicious cake. However, I thought this simple coconut cake would be perfect to make since we were planning on traveling to the lake later in the day for his birthday celebration. One thing I’ve learned the hard way, traveling with a two or three layer cake for 45 minutes in the heat of the summer does not make for a stress-free day! Ha! Now when traveling, I either make a sheet cake, layer cake, or even cupcakes and leave them unfrosted for traveling. I wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and then store them in the refrigerator. I also go ahead and make my frosting and store it in an airtight container as well. I generally will use deli containers or even zip top bags if I am making cakes or store it in frosting bags that I’ve not snipped the ends of or included a tip. Then, when I reach the destination, I can quickly assemble the cake or cupcakes. I just allow the frosting to reach room temperature (if a buttercream frosting) for easier spreading. It certainly works for me!
As I gathered together ingredients for his cake, the coconut cream caught my eye. I consider it divine intervention! Just like with my coconut cream pie, that stuff took what I’d planned to make and turned it into one more glorious confection! Topped with whipped cream and coconut flakes, this cake is the stuff of my husband’s birthday dreams!
Here’s my oh so easy Coconut Cake Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Ultimate Coconut Cake Recipe
- 1 white cake recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 whipped cream recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut flavoring or coconut rum
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Prepare 9x13x2 or larger sheet pan by spraying with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare white cake recipe batter as instructed and pour into prepared pan. Place prepared pan onto a rimmed sheet pan for baking. Place in the preheated oven and bake until the center of the cake springs back to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven. While still warm from the oven, use the skewer and poke holes all over the cake. Mix together the coconut cream and coconut milk in a small bowl. Pour the coconut cream mixture over the top of the cake, being sure to spread evenly across the entire cake so the cream seeps into the holes made from the skewers. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare whipped cream recipe, adding coconut flavoring or coconut rum to the whipped cream mixture. Spread evenly on top of cake and sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate.
If you live at a higher altitude, add ¼ cup flour to the white cake recipe.