Ultimate Kale Salad Recipe
This Ultimate Kale Salad recipe is the kale salad of my dreams! Filled with crunchy vegetables, creamy avocado and topped with a bold dressing, it is glorious!
If there is one thing that I love for a filling lunch, it is salad. And this kale salad has to be top of my list lately!
My sister Wendy came down the other day for lunch and I made them for us. I’d been talking about how much I loved them since the beginning of spring when the spring peas were at their peak in the garden. So, since I’d been telling her at least three times a week about having these kale salads, she finally said she was coming down to try one for herself. She agreed. They were just perfect!
I have to admit something to you. It took me some time before I actually could enjoy kale. I thought it was way too tough to enjoy and lacked a little bit of something for me to actually want to eat it. So, over the years, I’ve learned a few tricks to making kale taste delicious in salads.
- Trim your kale. The stalks are the toughest part of the kale and I find them hard to digest. So, grab a sharp knife and just carefully trim away the tough stalk from the kale greens.
- Chop your kale. Once you’ve removed the stems, pile your kale into a stack, then roll it into a tight roll and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Massage your kale. Like I mentioned before, kale can be tough! I learned from America’s Test Kitchen that giving your kale a little extra attention makes it much more tender and enjoyable to eat!
For my Ultimate Kale Salad, I love to top with seasonal vegetables that are at their absolute peak, as well as a few other goodies.
I added a bit of fresh spring lettuce mix, okra, roasted radishes, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, a boiled egg, half of an avocado, salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper!
While the salad is delicious right by itself without adding a dressing (believe me, I’ve eaten it like this plenty this spring!), I love to add a dressing with punch to the salad. I love to use vinaigrettes like my citrus vinaigrette, balsamic vinaigrette or even my raspberry vinaigrette for a fruity addition. They are all delicious and the vinegar bite is just perfect with it!
It is also delicious with the addition of protein like grilled or baked chicken, shrimp, or even salmon. Yum!
Here’s my Ultimate Kale Salad recipe for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 cups kale greens, trimmed, chopped and massaged
- 2 cup spring lettuce mix
- 8 roasted radishes
- 2 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 8 okra pods, halved lengthwise
- 4 boiled eggs, halved
- 2 avocado, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dressing of choice
- Add kale and spring lettuce mix salad bowl or individual bowls. Arrange the radishes, cucumber, okra, egg, and avocado on the greens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with dressing of choice.