The best banana bread recipe that makes a moist, tender banana bread every time. Made with simple ingredients this easy banana bread recipe is always favorite!
This recipe is one that I remember my Grandmother making routinely. It isa great way of using bananas that slipped a bit past their prime with brown specs that seemed to grow bigger by the day.
My Grandmother wasted nothing. Even something as simple as a few over-ripe bananas, with a few other ingredients, turns into this delicious banana bread. While I always loved hers, I’ve updated it just a bit to deepen the flavor while using less butter and sugar than called for in her original recipe. Grandmother’s banana bread usually included chopped pecans in hers as well, but you can omit them if you like.
Here’s my family’s favorite banana bread recipe updated just a bit. I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped roasted pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with baking spray or coat with butter and dust with all-purpose flour, being sure to shake out any excess flour. Set aside.
- Mix bananas and sugar with electric mixer until well blended. Add butter and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each egg.
- Add flour and mix until smooth. Add baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract and stir until well combined. Stir in nuts, if using. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle, about 1 hour.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2012.