Sugar cookies make a favorite little cookie recipe for so many. Get this family-favorite recipe for chewy sugar cookies that everyone is sure to love.
Sugar Cookies are one of my very favorite cookies in the entire world. Seriously. They are truly one of the most perfect cookies ever.
Because, sugar cookies never go out of style or out of season and are a favorite anytime you make them!
Maybe it is because these sugar cookies are different from the rolled sugar cookie recipe we also love throughout the holidays. Those can seem a bit daunting at times while this chewy version of the sugar cookie comes together quickly and is just one of those perfect cookies you enjoy eating!
For this sugar cookie recipe, I scoop the dough, roll it into a ball and then roll it into a bit of granulated sugar for a sparkly touch that lends a crisp little coating on the cookie once it is baked. While you can certainly skip that little step, I highly recommend that you not. It is so very much worth it.
Here’s my Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1½-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives, originally published 2013.