Sausage balls have always been a favorite, bite-sized treat. I remember that Mama would make them for so many special family occasions, like Christmas morning, New Year’s Eve snacks to help us make it to midnight, and so many more.
And now, of course, I make these oh so simple little sausage balls for my family, too. I’d actually forgotten about them after I was married until one Christmas morning we visited my husband’s brother’s family early on Christmas morning to see what Santa had left for their three children. Having no children of our own at that point, we would wake up early on Christmas morning, open our gifts, and hurry to make it to visit with their family for the morning.
On this particular Christmas morning, my sister-in-law disappeared to the kitchen for a little bit and then returned with a huge tray filled with sausage balls. I felt like a little girl again on Christmas morning just smelling those delicious little sausage balls as she walked into the room! The memories just flooded back. Isn’t it funny how something so simple can bring back so many memories?
Since that day, I’ve certainly not forgotten about them. Like my Mama, they always show up at Christmas and absolutely help us make it to ring in the new year.
Here’s my recipe for sausage balls. This recipe does not use a baking mix, but uses flour and other ingredients you’ll most likely have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator. Hope you love them as much as my family does!
- 1 pound uncooked breakfast sausage
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder, optional
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl until just well-combined. Scoop mixture into tablespoon-sized balls with a scoop or using two spoons. Roll together between your hands and place onto baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and cook throughout.
- Serve warm.