This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe – Crispy parmesan crusted chicken breasts are topped with marinara sauce and cheeses for an easy, classic Italian favorite. Ready in 30 minutes!
Classic Chicken Parmesan is always a favorite Italian dish to order in restaurants. While I love to order it when I visit that restaurant, I’d much rather make this easy, delicious dish at home. That parmesan coated chicken combined with the savory sauce is definitely the star attraction in this recipe in my house!
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
As I said, good Italian food is one of my all time favorites. And this dish is at the top of the list. I’ve tested this recipe for a long time and believe that I’ve perfected the make at home version of this classic dish. Even better, you can have it on the table for your family in 30 minutes, which is less time than any delivery food I’ve seen!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Start by pounding your chicken to 1/2-inch thick with a rolling pin or meat mallet, or simply carefully slicing your chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Then, sprinkle Stone House Seasoning on each chicken breast.
Coat both sides of your chicken in flour
Then into the beaten egg
And finally into the Panko and Parmesan mixture.
Lightly press the coating into the chicken to help it adhere.
Brown the chicken on both sides. Just look at that crispy chicken!
Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and top each piece with marinara.
Then top with cheeses.
Bake until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165º F when check with an internal meat thermometer.
Top with chopped basil and serve.
How Do You Serve Chicken Parmesan?
You can serve this so many different ways, according to your preference. It’s delicious atop a favorite pasta or egg noodle. It’s also great served on top of mashed potatoes. If you want to serve it a little bit lighter side, you can always eat it over zoodles, such as this recipe for scrumptious Olive Oil Garlic Zucchini Noodles.
What Do You Serve With This?
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Easy Baked Chicken – excellent with sides or as a base to so many chicken recipes!
Chicken Enchiladas – a classic favorite!
Chicken Salad with Grapes – a definite family favorite!
Another recipe to try if you love Italian food or are looking for a meat free meal is my Eggplant Parmesan Recipe. It’s delicious too!
Here’s my family’s favorite Chicken Parmesan Recipe. I hope you enjoy it too!
Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil for frying
- 1 cup marinara or tomato sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil (about ½ cup) chopped
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 450º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or misting with olive oil. Set aside.
- Pound the chicken. Place the chicken breasts onto a heavy cutting board and between two pieces of parchment paper or into a heavy plastic zip top bag. Pound the chicken to 1/2-inch in thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Season the chicken with Stone House Seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken. Arrange three flat bottomed dishes for dredging the chicken: (1) flour, (2) egg, and (3) Panko + parmesan cheese. Dip the prepared chicken breast into the flour, taking care to coat both sides of the chicken. Then, dip into the beaten egg, and finally into the Panko and parmesan mixture, making sure to press the Panko into the chicken. Place the coated chicken onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brown the chicken. Meanwhile, pour olive oil into a medium skillet set over medium heat. Allow the olive oil to heat until it has a light shimmer and a sprinkle of water sizzles when dropped into the oil. Carefully place the chicken into the oil and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet with tongs and place into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake and serve. Top each piece of chicken with ¼ cup of the tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and provolone cheese. Place into the oven and cook until the chicken has cooked through and reaches 165º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with basil and serve.
How to Store LeftoversTo store. Cool and then transfer to an airtight container or zip-top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Alternate MethodYou can also carefully slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise using a sharp knife rather than pounding the chicken with a mallet or rolling pin.