Easy Chicken Parmesan recipe made with crispy chicken breasts topped with marinara sauce and cheeses for an easy, classic Italian favorite. Ready in 30 minutes!
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Classic Chicken Parmesan is always a favorite Italian dish to order in restaurants. While I love to order it when out, I’d much rather make this easy, delicious dish at home. That parmesan coated chicken combined with the savory sauce is definitely the star attraction in this recipe at my house! I’ve tested this recipe for a long time and believe that I’ve perfected the make at home version of this classic dish. Even better, you can have it on the table for your family in 30 minutes!
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
Easy. While there are a few steps to make great chicken parmesan, they are simple and easy to follow!
Flavorful. Every crispy bite is full of delicious flavor that you expect from chicken parmesan.
Simple Ingredients. You’ll recognize all of the ingredients in this classic recipe.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
This recipe comes together quickly and is even great to prep ahead, if you like.
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan Recipe
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Chicken – I use skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Flour – I use all purpose flour
- Marinara sauce – you can use homemade or your favorite store-bought
- Parmesan cheese – I love to use freshly grated as store-bought pre-grated cheese can contain ingredients to prevent the cheese from sticking which causes it to not melt as easily.
- Mozzarella cheese – I use sliced, but you can also use grated or slice your own from a ball of mozzarella.
- Basil – used as the final touch to this dish, it adds so much flavor
- Eggs – beaten eggs are used to coat the chicken for that signature crispy coating
- Panko – it adds an additional crispiness and crunch to this recipe that my family loves
Step by Step Instructions
Pound chicken. Start by pounding your chicken to 1/2-inch thick with a rolling pin or meat mallet, or simply carefully slicing your chicken breasts in half horizontally while holding the knife parallel to the cutting board. Then, sprinkle Stone House Seasoning on each chicken breast.
Coat the chicken. Coat chicken in three steps.
Step 1: Coat in flour.
Step 2: Then into the beaten egg
Step 3: Coat with the Parmesan cheese and Panko mixture.
Place coated chicken onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Brown the chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides.
Arrange the chicken. Arrange the browned chicken in a baking dish and top each piece of chicken with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Bake the chicken. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165º F when check with an internal meat thermometer.
Serve. Top with chopped basil and serve.
How Do You Serve Chicken Parmesan?
You can serve this so many different ways, according to your preference. It’s delicious atop a favorite pasta or egg noodle. It’s also great served on top of mashed potatoes. If you want to serve it a little bit lighter side, you can always eat it over zoodles, such as this recipe for scrumptious Olive Oil Garlic Zucchini Noodles.
What Do You Serve With This?
How to Store Leftover Chicken Parmesan
To store. Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Easy Baked Chicken – excellent with sides or as a base to so many chicken recipes!
Chicken Enchiladas – a classic favorite!
Chicken Salad with Grapes – a definite family favorite!
Another recipe to try if you love Italian food or are looking for a meat free meal is my Eggplant Parmesan Recipe. It’s delicious too!
Here’s my family’s favorite Chicken Parmesan Recipe. I hope you enjoy it too!
Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil , for frying
- 1 cup marinara, or tomato sauce
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil, (about 1/2 cup) chopped
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 450º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or misting with olive oil. Set aside.
- Pound the chicken. Place the chicken breasts onto a heavy cutting board and between two pieces of parchment paper or into a heavy plastic zip top bag. Pound the chicken to 1/2-inch in thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Season the chicken with Stone House Seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken. Arrange three flat bottomed dishes for dredging the chicken: (1) flour, (2) egg, and (3) Panko + parmesan cheese. Dip the prepared chicken breast into the flour, taking care to coat both sides of the chicken. Then, dip into the beaten egg, and finally into the Panko and parmesan mixture, making sure to press the Panko into the chicken. Place the coated chicken onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brown the chicken. Meanwhile, pour olive oil into a medium skillet set over medium heat. Allow the olive oil to heat until it has a light shimmer and a sprinkle of water sizzles when dropped into the oil. Carefully place the chicken into the oil and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet with tongs and place into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake and serve. Top each piece of chicken with 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and provolone cheese. Place into the oven and cook until the chicken has cooked through and reaches 165º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with basil and serve.
How to Store LeftoversTo store. Cool and then transfer to an airtight container or zip-top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Alternate MethodYou can also carefully slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally, holding a sharp knife parallel to the cutting board, rather than pounding the chicken with a mallet or rolling pin.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.