This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mexican Cornbread Salad makes a delicious layered salad recipe using buttermilk cornbread, beans, tomatoes, and so much more!
There’s just something about cornbread that I can’t resist and in this salad, it definitely shines! It is my sister’s recipe and one that I absolutely love. I am so glad she’s sharing the recipe with you all (and with me!).
In case you may be confused by the name of the recipe, my sister’s nickname in our family is Mimi. It wasn’t always her nickname. Growing up, my Grandfather called her Wendy Bill for some unknown reason and that stuck for as long as I can remember. Then, when Sam was not even two yet, he climbed up in her lap and called her Mimi. That’s all it took. She’s been Mimi ever since and he continues to have her wrapped around his little finger.
Her salad is a fun spin on the traditional cornbread salad that you’ve probably all heard of or enjoyed at countless cookouts and reunions throughout the years. Wendy’s begins with traditional Southern buttermilk cornbread and then she sets it apart with spicy layer after layer.
It is delicious as a filling salad for lunch or as a side dish. Sometimes, we can hardly wait until all the layers are made before we’re ready to dig in, but it is fabulous to allow it to sit covered in the refrigerator overnight as all the flavors just continue to meld together and get better and better.
Here’s Mimi’s Mexican Cornbread Salad recipe. I think you’ll love it as much as we do!
Mimi’s Mexican Cornbread Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pan Southern Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe baked and cooled
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 (26.5-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed well
- 3 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with chiles , drained well
- 6-8 slices cooked bacon diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice divided
- Sour cream optional
- Crumble and layer half of the cornbread in the bottom of a large glass bowl or trifle dish. Next, add half of each in layers: lettuce, black beans, diced tomatoes, bacon, cheese, and avocados. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of lime juice on top of avocados to prevent from browning. Repeat layers and top final salad with remaining tablespoon of lime juice. Top or serve with sour cream, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
What an interesting salad! It’s like a 7-layered dip but better. Will certainly keep it in mind. Thank you so much for sharing!
It is so delicious! I hope you enjoy it!
This recipe sounds delish. My ? is…..does the cornbread get real mushy, especially if it sits in the fridge to chill?
I wouldn’t call it mushy. It has a good texture, I think.
What is the receive for Mexican cornbread?
This salad uses my buttermilk cornbread recipe. You’ll just hover over buttermilk cornbread on the recipe card and then click to go over to that recipe.
Love this recipe!!!
Thanks so much, Amanda! I do, too! I’ve always loved when she made it! xo
The recipe is brilliant Robyn.You have decorated it so well.Nice photography too.And this Mexican cornbread salad recipe looks very easy to make.Thanks for sharing this one 🙂
How long does this keep in the fridge?