This Mushroom and Onion Saute recipe goes in my essentials category if ever anything did.
I can’t even begin to tell you how often I pull out a skillet, toss in sliced onions and mushrooms, a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to go along with whatever else I’ve prepared for our meal.
Really, it couldn’t be any easier.
That’s the best thing about simple as can be recipes. You just turn to them to help finish out a meal and take it to a whole new level than if you’d not included it in the first place.
For example, I can’t remember the last time we’ve made hamburgers and not had mushroom and onion saute to go along with it.
I think that’s what they mean when they say a recipe is a staple in your family.
If I’m feeling really fancy, I’ll even toss in some fresh herbs to go along with it and amp up the flavors even more. Thyme, rosemary, or just a bit of parsley all taste delicious.
Here’s my Mushroom and Onion Saute recipe. You’ll love it.
Mushroom and Onion Saute Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 pint sliced white or portabella mushrooms cleaned
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh herbs thyme, rosemary, or parsley
- Heat butter or olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add mushrooms, onions, and salt. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in black pepper and fresh herbs, if using.
- Serve warm.
Have a great weekend!