This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This One Pot Penne Pasta recipe is made with sausage, red peppers, and spinach and ready in 15 minutes, making this pasta recipe a weeknight favorite recipe!
It’s a busy weeknight and if I haven’t planned ahead, I start to think about what’s for supper. It’s a question I know we all ask ourselves all the time!
These are times I am happy to remember this One Pot Penne Pasta recipe. I am always thankful that it’s such a quick and easy recipe. I also am happy that my family absolutely loves it!
This is one of those pasta recipes that you throw everything into the pot and everything cooks together like magic. It also means there is only one pot to wash, one pot to dry, and one pot to put away. I love recipes like that!
One Pot Penne Pasta Recipe
You can customize the ingredients to your preference, but here is what I include.
Smoked Sausage – I use smoked sausage in this pasta. Since it is already cooked and smoked, it adds so much flavor to this pasta recipe in a short amount of time. I like to slice the smoked sausage into bite-sized pieces to help it heat through even more quickly, but also for ease when served.
Onion – Diced onion is delicious in this dish, but can easily be omitted if you do not enjoy onions.
Garlic – Fresh garlic is minced and included in this pasta recipe. If you do not enjoy garlic, you can omit.
Mushrooms – You can use either white or portobello sliced fresh mushrooms in this recipe or you can even use sliced mushrooms in the jar that have been drained.
Chicken Stock – Homemade chicken stock is always my preference, but if it is not available, you can use store-bought. I like to use an unsalted one with minimal ingredients.
Roasted Red Peppers – I use jarred store-bought roasted red peppers in this recipe! Make sure to include the liquid from the jar for all of that delicious flavor in the finished pasta dish!
Cheeses – I use both Monterrey Jack cheese and Parmesan cheese in this recipe.
Fresh Spinach – Fresh baby spinach is perfect in this recipe. Since you add the cheeses and the spinach while the pasta is hot, the spinach will become tender and will wilt into the dish. Yum!
The flavor combination is out of this world delicious and one that I think you’ll enjoy, too!
How to Make One Pot Penne Pasta
Not only is this dish full of incredible flavor, it makes a delicious, quick and easy pasta recipe!
- To make this one pot pasta, add the sausage, onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the pot first.
- Once your onions become tender, toss in the penne pasta, add the chicken stock and the jar of roasted red peppers with the liquid from the jar, and cover the pot for about 5 to 8 minutes. This allows the penne pasta to cook quickly and become tender. Remove the lid, stir and continue to cook until penne pasta is al dente or reaches the amount of tenderness you prefer.
- Finally, stir in the fresh spinach and cheeses until well combined, and the spinach is tender. Then it’s ready to serve!
Believe me, this has become one of my favorite staple recipes! It is so easy and delicious and a dish my family loves!
More Pasta Recipes You May Enjoy:
Here’s my simple One Pot Penne Pasta recipe. It’s a keeper!
One Pot Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into bite sized slices
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups penne pasta uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 (10-ounce) jar roasted red peppers undrained
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Add sausage, onions, garlic, and mushrooms to a medium pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are slightly tender, stirring often. Add in penne pasta, chicken stock, roasted red peppers, along with the liquid from the jar. Stir to combine and cover for about 5-8 minutes. Remove lid, stir and continue to cook until penne pasta is al dente or at the amount of tenderness you prefer.
- Stir in the cheeses and fresh spinach until well combined and the spinach is tender. Serve.
Originally published 2014.