This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake makes a timeless dessert. Topped with a signature pineapple and cherry topping, this pineapple upside down cake is a southern classic.
There are few cakes as nostalgic and classic as pineapple upside down cake. A timeless cake crowned with caramelized topping and rings of pineapple studded with bright cherries in the center.
Each delicious bite takes me back to my childhood and watching Mama magically flip the pineapple upside down cake onto her cake plate without even a smidgen of the cake sticking to the skillet.
I always have loved a fresh, warm slice of pineapple upside down cake fresh from the skillet.
There’s really nothing like it.
To make my pineapple upside down cake, I pour my melted butter into a medium size cast iron skillet.
Swirl the melted butter around in your skillet until the sides are well-coated with butter as well.
If you don’t have a skillet, you can use a 10″ round cake pan as well. Then, I sprinkle a layer of brown sugar over the melted butter which makes the most delicious caramelized topping for your pineapple upside down cake!
Next, you’ll need your pineapple slices. You can use fresh pineapple that has been cleaned, cored and evenly sliced into 1/2″ slices.
Or, you can just use canned pineapple slices. Either way works well. If you used canned pineapple slices, you’ll need two small cans.
Place your pineapple slices on top of your brown sugar layer.
Next, take your maraschino cherries and add one to the center of each pineapple slice for that signature pineapple upside down cake look!
Now we’re getting to the cake part of the cake.
In a large mixing bowl, add your buttermilk and pour in the rest of your melted butter, eggs, sugar, flour, and other dry ingredients.
Give it all a quick whisk until your batter is well-combined.
And then pour your cake batter over your pineapple, cherries, and brown sugar.
Oh my word!
Bake your pineapple upside down cake for about an hour.
Here’s my Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe. I think you’ll love it!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 8 pineapple slices cut ½” thick
- 8 maraschino cherries without stems
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Pour ½ of melted butter into cast iron skillet or round cake pan. Swirl the pan until the bottom and sides are well-coated with butter to prevent the cake from sticking. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the melted butter in the skillet or cake pan. Place pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar. Add maraschino cherries to the center of each pineapple slice.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, the remainder of your melted butter, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until well-combined. Pour evenly over the pineapple, cherry, and brown sugar layer in the skillet or cake pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to stand for about 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cake stand.
- When ready to transfer, place cake stand on top of skillet, then carefully flip to where the pineapple upside down cake comes out onto the cake stand.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2011.