Cream Cheese Frosting makes the perfect frosting recipe for so many sweet treats. An easy, yet elegant cream cheese frosting recipe.
Cream cheese frosting comes in handy for all sorts of delicious delicacies – like hummingbird cake, red velvet cake, cupcakes, and well… just about anything else I can think of right now. It just makes anything taste better in my book – and no wonder with all that fluffy, creamy deliciousness!
It comes together quickly by creaming together cream cheese and butter that have been softened to room temperature and then slowly incorporating the sugar half a cup at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting for about 10 seconds to make your cream cheese frosting as light and fluffy as possible. Then, add in your vanilla and give your frosting a final burst of mixing on high speed.
This recipe yields a generous portion of cream cheese frosting – enough to frost a 3-layer cake well. It is also easy to halve the amounts if you do not need that amount.
Desserts frosting with cream cheese frosting do require refrigeration. You’ll want to store a cake or cupcakes, etc in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Unused frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days, but can not be frozen as it will ruin the consistency of the frosting. To use the frosting, remove it from the refrigerator and incorporated a tablespoon of heavy cream to the frosting with an electric mixer to return it to a spreadable consistency.
Here’s my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. It’s a classic that everyone loves!
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- Add in butter and cream together with cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioner's sugar, ½ a cup at a time. After each cup has been incorporated, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting and for about 10 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add in vanilla and cream until well-blended, light and fluffy.
Originally published September 2011. Republished March 2015.