Ratatouille combines the freshest of summer vegetables into one delish dish. This ratatouille recipe is artfully arranged and roasted with a light dressing.
As soon as we watched the movie with the cutest little rat, Remy, directing the making of ratatouille in the movie by the same name, my sweet little boy began asking for me to make ratatouille for him. Seriously. He was just a little squirt when the movie was released and we watched it, as we did with most movies he loved, over and over and over and over and over again. And each time it was over, he asked if we could have ratatouille for supper.
In the summer, I was happy to oblige his request as best I could. Sometimes, we might not have all of the colors of peppers on hand and other times I might not have fresh tomatoes. But, by in large, I’d pull together a colorful combination of so many of summer’s finest vegetables, slice them as thin as possible, artfully arrange them in a deep pie plate, mix together my dressing and drizzle over it and then let it roast in the oven for a while. The smells coming from the oven were always enough to let him know that once again, I couldn’t agree more about my love for ratatouille, too!
Here’s my ratatouille recipe. If you don’t have all of these vegetables, just use the ones that you do have. I think you’ll love it just as much!
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper,sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray nonstick cooking spray onto bottom and sides of pie plate.
- Arrange, in alternating colors, slices of tomatoes, onion, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and squash around sides and bottom of pie plate. Set aside.
- Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, thyme, and minced garlic in small mixing bowl, whisking until well blended. Drizzle mixture over vegetables. Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.