This Baked Blueberry French Toast makes a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe! Made with bread, blueberries, maple syrup and topped with a streusel topping, this is always a favorite!
French toast is a favorite breakfast recipe around my house and this baked blueberry version is an absolute treat! So simple to put together, it doesn’t take anytime to prep. I’ve included make-ahead instructions for this baked blueberry french toast as well since I love to prep it the night before and then just pop into the oven the next morning as we are all getting ready for work, school or church. I also love to serve it when Sam has friends over for the weekend. Teenage boys devour it!
To make it, I begin by cutting my bread into 1-inch cubes. I love to use sourdough in this recipe, but you can really use any bread that you have on hand – leftover biscuits, sandwich bread, challah bread, or whatever your family loves. Then, I arrange half of the bread in a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or buttered well.
Next, I add in half of my blueberries on top of the bread cubes and then repeat the layering with the remainder of the bread cubes and blueberries.
Whisk together the milk, eggs, honey (or maple syrup), vanilla, cinnamon and salt and then pour over the bread and blueberries. Then, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter until well combined and crumble over the top.
Pop into the oven and bake until set and golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and dust with confectioner’s sugar, if you are using, and serve with maple syrup.
Prep the baked blueberry french toast the night before without adding the streusel topping and baking. Then, the next morning, add the topping and bake as directed.
Here’s my Baked Blueberry French Toast recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, diced
- confectioner's sugar, for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter the pan. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the baking dish topped with half of the blueberries. Repeat with the remainder of the bread cubes and blueberries and set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl and pour over the bread and blueberries.
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter until well combined. Crumble on top of the bread and blueberries and bake until set and golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dust with confectioner's sugar, if using. Serve warm with maple syrup.