This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe – A delicious, gourmet grilled cheese made of sourdough, pesto, mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil.
A favorite salad in grilled cheese form with crispy, crunch, buttery sourdough bread filled with creamy, melted mozzarella, tangy pesto, and a crisp slice of tomato. This is a grilled cheese sandwich everyone raves over.
How to Make a Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
To make this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich, you’ll want the standard ingredients for a caprese salad, pesto, and sourdough bread.
- Sourdough bread – a favorite bread for sandwich, especially grilled cheese sandwiches, this flavor of sourdough definitely completes this sandwich.
- Pesto – A fresh, homemade pesto sauce is spread onto the bread as the base layer of the sandwich.
- Mozzarella cheese – Thickly sliced mozzarella cheese is layered on top of the pesto. Once grilled, it melts and combines with the pesto for incredible flavors.
- Tomato – Sliced tomatoes top the mozzarella cheese slices on the sandwich.
- Fresh basil – Large, fresh basil leaves top the tomatoes to bring out the basil flavor throughout the sandwich.
- Balsamic Glaze – You then add a bit of balsamic glaze on top of the ingredients of the sandwich before topping the sandwich with the second slice of sourdough bread. It rounds out the caprese salad flavors and adds a level of sweetness to the sandwich.
Once your sandwich has been assembled, butter the outside of the bottom slice of bread and place into a heated skillet or griddle. Then, spread the top slice of bread with softened butter as well. Cook your sandwich until it has browned on the bottom and then flip to cook the top side until golden brown.
Remove from the skillet or griddle, cut in half and serve.
Here’s my Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe. I hope you love it!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Spread pesto onto one slice of sourdough bread. Layer with mozzarella cheese, tomato, basil leaves and balsamic glaze. Top with second slice of sourdough bread.
- Butter the bottom outside slice of the sourdough bread. Place into heated skillet or griddle. Cook until golden brown. Butter top outside piece of sourdough bread. Flip and cook until golden brown. Remove from the skillet or griddle, cut in half and serve.