Sugar Cookie Recipe – Absolutely the BEST sugar cookie recipe I’ve ever tasted! These sugar cookies are soft, chewy and produce a flavorful bakery style soft sugar cookie! Quick and easy to make, this recipe makes cookies that turn out perfectly every single time!
Sugar Cookies are one of my very favorite cookies in the entire world. Seriously. They are truly one of the most perfect cookies ever.
Because sugar cookies never go out of style or out of season and are a favorite anytime you make them!
The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe
Maybe it is because these sugar cookies are different from the rolled sugar cookie recipe we also love throughout the holidays. Those can seem a bit daunting at times while this chewy version of the sugar cookie comes together quickly and is just one of those perfect cookies you enjoy eating!
How to Make the BEST Sugar Cookies
For this sugar cookie recipe, I scoop the dough, roll it into a ball and then roll it into a bit of granulated sugar for a sparkly touch that lends a crisp little coating on the cookie once it is baked. While you can certainly skip that little step, I highly recommend that you not. It is so very much worth it.
This is by far one of my most requested cookie recipes throughout the holidays, but also throughout the year!
It is just that perfect chewy, soft sugar cookie recipe that everyone raves over! One thing that I also like to do is include these amazing sugar cookies as well as my chocolate sugar cookies on a cookie platter.
Talk about heavenly!
You’ll definitely want to keep this sugar cookie recipe in your list of must-make cookie recipes!
Fun Sugar Cookie Recipe Options
- Frosted Sugar Cookies – Be sure to use my family’s sugar cookie icing recipe for frosted sugar cookies. A pinch of sprinkles on top is always fun!
- Color Sprinkles Sugar Cookies – Roll your sugar cookies in colored sprinkles (red or green for the holidays or pink for a little girl’s birthday) for a festive cookie!
- Confetti Sugar Cookies – Mix colored confetti sprinkles in your cookie dough before scooping.
How to Make Ahead, Store, and Freeze Sugar Cookies
For an easy make ahead sugar cookie recipe, prepare your sugar cookie dough, through rolling in the sugar, and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place into the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer your cookies to a freezer-safe zip top bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, simply remove from the freezer-safe bag and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake as directed, adding about 3 minutes to the baking time.
Once baked, store cookies on the counter for up to a week.
Here’s my Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do.
The BEST Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe!
- 1 cup butter, softened 2 sticks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1 1/2-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.