This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Best Barbacoa recipe! Tender, deliciously seasoned beef cooked low and slow in the slow cooker. Perfect for tacos, burritos, and salads.
One of my favorite things to order when we happen to be in an area where we can visit a certain restaurant has always been their barbacoa. It always makes for a meal that is out of this world. But, even though restaurant barbacoa may be readily available in most areas, they are few and far between in my neck of the woods. I’d have to drive about 40 miles to the nearest one. I have to say, my easy homemade barbacoa rivals that restaurant favorite! I hope you enjoy it, too!
Barbacoa Beef Recipe
Making this tender, delicious barbacoa beef in the slow cooker is so easy and so incredibly delicious!
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Beef – I prefer to use a chuck roast for this recipe. It becomes incredibly tender and flavorful in this recipe. Note that you can just place the whole chuck roast into the slow cooker without cubing, or cube it if you prefer.
- Beef broth – Adds moisture to the beef as it cooks.
- Apple cider vinegar – Helps to balance the recipe.
- Garlic – You can use fresh garlic that has been finely chopped, or you can use Stone House Seasoning in place of the garlic and salt in the recipe.
- Chipotle chilis – You’ll use canned chipotle chilis that are canned in adobo sauce. Remove the chilis from the sauce and chop them to use in the recipe.
- Adobo sauce – You will also use a portion of the adobo sauce from the canned chipotle chilis. This adds incredible flavor to the recipe.
- Seasonings: Cumin, Chili powder, and Salt – Adds depth of flavor to the recipe. In place of the salt and garlic, use Stone House Seasoning.
- Optional toppings: Red Onion, Cilantro, and Lime
How to Make Barbacoa Beef
Add chuck roast to the insert of the slow cooker.
Stir together beef broth, apple cider vinegar, garlic, chilis, adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt. Pour into the slow cooker.
Cook on low setting for 8 hours.
Shred the barbacoa beef in the slow cooker using two forks. It absorbs even more of the delicious barbacoa sauce as it is in the slow cooker.
Use a pair of tongs or a fork to easily serve the barbacoa with a drizzle of additional sauce.
How to Serve Barbacoa Beef
Barbacoa beef is delicious in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, soups, and salads. That spicy kick is unmistakably delicious!
We especially love to toast tortillas and then pile on our barbacoa with our favorite toppings of red onion and additional cilantro.
Served with a side of salsa and a fresh squeeze of lime, it is a meal my whole family loves!
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions
To make ahead, prepare it according to the recipe instructions. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Favorite Beef Recipes
Here’s my Easy Barbacoa recipe. I think you are going to make this again and again!
Easy Barbacoa Recipe
- 1 (4-5 pound) chuck roast
- 1/2 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red onion
- Add chuck roast to the insert of slow cooker. In a 2 cup measuring cup stir together beef broth, apple cider vinegar, garlic, chilis, adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt. Pour into slow cooker and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Shred beef in the slow cooker using two forks. Serve barbacoa with a drizzle of additional sauce.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator or in the freezer for a few months.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
This was a hit on a blustery fall day. My husband said it does taste just like that certain restaurant’s version. Thanks for a really easy meal.
What if you dont have chuck roast beef can you use just beef cube ?
I’ve always used chuck roast, Alisic. Thanks!
Easy, fast and delicious. It was great because it was a warm day and didn’t have to heat up kitchen. Made it exactly as recipe stated. My slow cooker runs pretty warm even on low so I cooked it for 7 hrs The flavor was amazing. Served with a big side salad. Yummy, will definitely be a repeater.
Thanks! So glad you liked it!
I saved this recipe several years ago and finally decided to make it. Ah, it is fabulous! I live in San Diego so chipotles in adobo sauce are readily available and really makes this recipe. I put only the beef on a flour tortilla, no toppings and it was so good. Thank you Robyn.
I’m so glad you made it and loved it, Kay. Thanks!
This was really good and really easy! Thank you!
Awesome recipe, I cut it in half for a 2 lb roast, and it comes out perfect every time,…if some one wants salt they can add it to their own serving…but its perfect for me as it is…thank you so much for sharing this recipe
Really liked this easy recipe
Thanks, Norma. So glad you liked the Barbacoa recipe.