This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My family loves hearty, homemade meals and I certainly love preparing these meals for them. I have to admit, some of my favorites are those that were my favorites growing up, especially those that I can make ahead and that freeze well, too.
And guess what? My Mushroom Macaroni and Cheese fits the bill for all of the above!
Here’s how I make it.
Mushroom Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces portabello mushrooms sliced
- 4 spring onions chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow pasta cooked and drained
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small jar pimentos drained
- Saute mushrooms and onions in skillet with just a drizzle of olive oil.
- In medium sauce pan over low heat, warm heavy cream, stirring often.
- Do not allow to come to a boil.
- In large sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour.
- Whisk constantly and allow to lightly brown.
- Pour heated cream into butter flour mixture and continue to whisk until well-blended.
- Add shredded cheese and whisk until combined.
- In large bowl, mix together cooked mushrooms and onions, cheese sauce, cooked pasta, and pimentos.
- Pour into a 13×9 casserole dish and bake in 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes until bubbly.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Add Topping – add a bread crumb or Ritz Cracker topping with dots of butter for extra crunch.
Add Meat – we also love to add in meats such as roasted chicken, crab, and lobster for over the top Macaroni and Cheese.
It’s so easy, it will quickly become one of your go to recipes.
Hello, Question: I was copying down your recipe and got down to number 7 and needed to know what kind of cheese. I am not a cook so it may be a silly question to some but i was thinking cheddar but u didnt have it listed in the ingredients. The recipe sorta looks like it could be a white cheese.. Thanks. Stumped in Oregon.
I normally use grated sharp cheddar cheese in all of my Mac and Cheese recipes. Sometimes though, I’ve used Monterrey Jack for a little something different. I hope you enjoy it!
Hi Robyn, I want to make this recipe, can you tell how much cheese to use. Thank you!
Carol, I’m so sorry I left the amount of cheese out of the recipe. It has now been corrected to use 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Thanks for letting me know. Hope you enjoy!