My family is really enjoying meals I make ahead and freeze since our evening schedules have gotten so busy. My Stuffed Green Peppers provide a welcome, hearty meal when we are dragging back in the door from football practice or scouting.
Here’s how I make them.
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 8 Green Peppers
- 2 pounds ground turkey or ground beef your preference
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice cooked per package directions
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red or yellow pepper diced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Remove tops and then the seeds of the pepper.
- Place on a large baking pan.
- Saute onion and pepper in lightly oiled skillet until tender.
- Set aside.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add onion, pepper, cooked rice, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, egg, and garlic to meat; mixing well.
- Spoon meat mixture into green pepper and place in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- For those you plan to freeze, do not add the cheese at this point.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for five minutes prior to serving.
- Allow to cool completely before wrapping in parchment paper and then foil for freezing.
To prepare from frozen, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and top with cheeses. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Allow to sit for five minutes prior to serving.
This goes perfectly with a fresh salad for a delicious, filling meal your family will love.