Chocolate cupcakes. You probably saw this one coming, didn’t you? I can be rather transparent. Especially since I’ve been talking about the best chocolate cake ever so much and all. But, for this recipe, you have Claire to thank.
She wanted to make a special treat for her fiance and wanted to make a dozen cupcakes like the cake.
Now, when someone sends me an email asking for my help, I try to do everything I can to help them. And, sometimes that results in my family eating more chocolate – of which, they really love.
Since I’d only doubled the recipe to make chocolate cupcakes for a crowd, I wasn’t entirely sure I could tell her without a shadow of a doubt that she could only make 12 from the recipe. So I went to work.
As a side note, whenever you can say that testing for the best chocolate cupcakes is work, you know you are one lucky girl.
Anywho, I also wanted to be sure to size a frosting recipe to work perfectly with the amount of chocolate cupcakes.
Although having extra buttercream frosting doesn’t seem like a bad idea, I always try to keep the recipes even when I share them with y’all.
I didn’t get all fancy when frosting these cupcakes either.
I just put all of my buttercream frosting into a zip top bag, snipped off the corner and went round and round on top for a generous bit of frosting on top.
Of course, you can get fancy, fancy with them if you like, but I know that my family just likes things simple, yet delicious.
Which really makes these not only the best chocolate cupcake in my book, but also about the easiest one I’ve ever made.
Again, the cake batter is thinner than most, but results in a very tender and moist cupcake.
The batter can easily be mixed in a bowl without the use of heavy duty mixers making it great to throw together after your family has gone to bed or bright and early in the mornings. (Can you tell I’ve done that a time or two?)
If you love chocolate and are looking for what my family calls the best chocolate cupcakes, this is your recipe.
If you’ve wanted to try my recipe for the best chocolate cake ever and just didn’t want to be tempted by a whole cake, this is your recipe.
If you know someone who needs a little pick-me-up or has some celebrating to do, this is your recipe.
Or, better yet, it’s Thursday. Let’s just declare it chocolate cupcake day and go make ’em.
Here’s my best chocolate cupcakes recipe with vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe yields 12 cupcakes and can easily be doubled.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about ½ full.
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Prepare Buttercream Frosting according to instructions.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do and hey, I’m here for ya, man! Err… you know what I mean.