Chocolate Cobbler is a classic Southern dessert recipe. Made with cocoa powder, flour and sugar, chocolate cobbler couldn’t be any easier or delicious!
My Grandmother’s Southern Chocolate Cobbler is rich, fudgy, delicious, and a Southern classic.
If you have chocolate lovers in your life, you should make this for them soon.
It’s such a simple dessert to make and will have everyone saying, “mmmmmmm…..”
I have to tell you a secret though, it’s best served with a big ole scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. That just takes it over the ever-loving top!
We had a family dinner Saturday night at our house and I started cooking early Saturday morning to get a few things made ahead so that I wasn’t rushing around when everyone arrived. I like to have my ducks in a row by the time everyone arrives so that we can all just enjoy each other’s company while we finish up the last few little details for the dinner.
Anyway, Little Buddy came into the kitchen as I was mixing the chocolate cobbler and decided that he might rather hang out with me in the kitchen instead of going to the hangar with his Daddy for the morning. Chocolate cobbler kinda has that effect on folks. So be ready.
Here’s how you make it.
Melt a stick of butter in a deep 13×9 baking dish. Then set it aside while you mix up the other ingredients.
Grab a big bowl and dump in your sugar.
Add in your cocoa.
Next comes your flour.
And your milk.
And lastly your vanilla.
Whisk it all together until it is well-combined.
Now pour the chocolate batter into your baking dish over the melted butter. Don’t stir.
Pop it into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Cover until ready to serve.
Now, we’re gonna make the sinful stuff that goes with this.
Mix together cocoa and sugar.
Pour in boiling water.
And give it a good stir.
When ready to serve, scoop a serving of the baked cobbler, pour the warm chocolate sauce over it and then add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 stick butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place butter in a deep 13×9 baking dish and put into the oven.
- Melt butter in baking dish, remove from oven, and then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, cocoa, flour, milk and vanilla.
- Pour into baking dish. Do not stir.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl mix together the 2 cups of sugar and ½ cup cocoa to make chocolate sauce.
- Pour boiling water over and mix together.
- When ready to serve cobbler, spoon dough into an individual dish, pour chocolate sauce over dough and serve.