As we’re about to step into all those fun cookouts, summer get togethers, and even family reunions, I thought I’d share this favorite recipe for Southern Baked Beans.
These Southern Baked Beans really go so perfectly with so many dishes I serve during this season – like grilled chicken, hamburgers, and everything in between – that they are somewhat of a regular occurrence around here.
Rich, smokey and oh so delicious, my Southern Baked Beans is really a recipe you need.
The fast-track of this recipe begins with canned navy beans, but you can of course begin with soaked dried beans if you prefer.
So, here’s my Southern Baked Beans recipe. Get ready to make it often!
- 2 (16-ounce) cans navy beans
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- For the Top of Baked Beans (optional):
- 2 slices bacon, halved
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Pour navy beans into medium stockpot.
- In a medium skillet, add diced bacon, onion, and garlic. Cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Remove from heat and add to navy beans.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Stir to combine well. Pour into deep dish you plan to serve from or leave in stockpot. Top with bacon and sprinkle top with brown sugar.
- Place in oven and bake 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 425º F for 10 minutes to crisp bacon. Remove from oven and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving.