Strawberry Shortcake makes a classic dessert. Made of tender biscuits, topped with sweetened strawberries, and whipped cream, this simple strawberry shortcake is a favorite!
Strawberry shortcake is by far one of my husband’s favorite desserts. I can’t even begin to tell you how many I’ve made in our 18 years of marriage, but I can tell you that as soon as strawberry season peaks, so does his appetite for strawberry shortcake.
It’s not hard to see why. When strawberries are fresh, perfectly sweetened, and just bursting with flavor, they just are perfect paired with a lightly sweetened biscuit and fresh whipped cream. Thankfully, they couldn’t be much simpler to make either!
I start with my 3 ingredient buttermilk biscuit recipe and add just a bit of sugar to sweeten the biscuits a touch. If you don’t like your strawberry shortcake as sweet, just make the biscuits as you normally would. My Grandmother would always make an extra pan of biscuits as she made them for the meal. Then, she’d use those for her strawberry shortcake. Either way works fine.
You’ll want to slice your strawberries and then macerate them in about a tablespoon or so of granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup. This brings out so much flavor of the strawberry, along with tons of juice, and eliminates any tartness you might get in your strawberries.
When you are ready to serve your strawberry shortcake, you’ll split the biscuit in half horizontally, pile it high with strawberries (and their juice to soak into the biscuit!), put the top of the biscuit back on top of the strawberries, and then a huge dollop of whipped cream on top. You’ll probably only hear silence for a little while as the devouring commences.
Here’s my favorite recipe for Strawberry Shortcake. I think you’ll love it!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 recipe 3 Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place strawberries into a large bowl. Toss with sugar, honey or maple syrup. Allow to sit lightly covered with plastic wrap to macerate.
- Prepare 3 Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuits according to directions, adding in 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to sweeten the biscuits for shortcakes, if you choose to do so. Allow biscuits to cool.
- Prepare whipped cream by whipping the heavy whipping cream on high speed with an electric mixer. Slowly add sugar and vanilla extract to whipping cream and continue to whip until peaks form. Do not over beat your whipped cream.
- To serve, split each biscuit in half horizontally. Top the bottom half of each biscuit with macerated strawberries, along with a bit of the juices. Place the top half of the biscuit on top of the strawberries and serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.