Apple Cobbler Recipe
Apple Cobbler makes an easy, delicious dessert recipe. Filled with three types of apples, this apple cobbler has a sweet sauce and is topped with a light, fluffy biscuits.
There’s just something about cobblers that makes them immediately comforting, warm and inviting. I’m not sure if it because they seem to represent a humble time and way of cooking or if it is because they remind me of both of my grandmothers, my aunts, and of course the recipes Mama has always made. Easy and economical, they seem to be the best blend of using the simple ingredients that you have to make something even more special.
I have the same vein of thinking where biscuits are concerned, too. In my nearly 43 years, I’ve never met a person who didn’t like biscuits. Never. Everyone’s family has their own special touch to make their biscuits and that makes them even more wonderful, I think.
For this apple cobbler, I begin by tossing three types of apples in a mixture of apple pie spice and brown sugar. Then, I quickly saute them in a medium skillet with butter until they are just fork tender. Then, I mix together my buttermilk biscuit recipe that I add a bit of sugar to for sweetness since they will be part of a dessert. Light and fluffy, tender and flaky, I love the addition of these biscuits to my apple cobbler! They just make it!
Honestly, the biscuits themselves would be dessert enough many nights or would make a fun breakfast treat, but when combined with the apples and the delicious sauce from the cobbler, they are out of this world.
Here’s my Apple Cobbler Recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we always do!
Apple Cobbler Recipe
- 2 baking apples cored and sliced into 1/4-inch slices (Cortland, Braeburn, Rome, etc.)
- 2 sweet eating apples cored and sliced into 1/4-inch slices (Honeycrisp, SweeTango, etc.)
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 4 tablespoons butter
for the biscuits:
for the topping:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Add apple slices to a large bowl along with brown sugar and apple pie spice. Toss to make sure all apple slices are coated with the brown sugar and spices. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add coated apple slices to the skillet and cook until fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Add flour and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender, two forks, or knives until well-combined. Slowly pour in buttermilk and stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour biscuit dough onto a floured pastry cloth, paper towels, or dough board. Gently pat or roll to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out biscuits using about a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits into skillet on top of apples. Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven and brush on melted butter and sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar and apple pie spice for the topping. Return to the oven for 3-5 more minutes until lightly browned. Remove and serve.