This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
An easy pizza dough recipe that makes the best pizza dough! Made with 6 ingredients for an amazing homemade pizza crust! Perfectly crisp outside, yet chewy inside with incredible flavor!
Looking for more delicious dinner ideas? I think you’ll love my Alfredo Sauce, Lasagna, and Swedish Meatballs.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This easy recipe makes the best homemade pizza dough. It comes together quickly and easily. I’ve included instructions for making it in one bowl or a stand mixer. This easy pizza dough makes the perfect recipe for making homemade pizza, calzones, stromboli, or my favorite pizza cups. It is one of my favorite things to make for meal prep. The possibilities for dinner just got so much more interesting!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
Making homemade pizza dough and pizza is much easier and, dare I say, enjoyable once you have a reliable dough recipe. My family has used this recipe since our son was in kindergarten. He’s off on his own now, but he still loves to come home to pizza made with this amazing pizza dough. Let me show you how we make it.
This recipe uses basic ingredients that are pantry staples. There are six main ingredients for the pizza dough and one ingredient that we use for dusting the pizza stone or pizza peel when cooking.
- Water – heated to 110º F. Double check the temperature to make sure it is not over 110º F as this can “kill” the yeast and prevent the dough from rising.
- Yeast – use your favorite active or instant-rise yeast.
- Flour – we use all-purpose flour.
- Sea salt – to season the dough
- Honey – to flavor the dough and feed the yeast to help the dough rise.
- Olive oil – use your favorite olive oil
- Extra Ingredient: Corn meal – used for dusting the pizza peel or pizza stone to prevent the pizza dough from sticking. This is not used IN the dough, but I’ve included it since we believe it is necessary when cooking pizza dough on a peel or stone.
Prep yeast. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a bowl. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
Add olive oil and honey to the flour mixture.
Add yeast and mix together to form a soft dough ball.
Let the dough rise. Place pizza dough into a glass or stainless steel bowl coated with olive oil. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and place it in a 175º – 200º F oven. Allow to dough in bulk. Punch down and allow to rise again for about 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into portions based on how you plan to use your pizza dough.
Place the dough on a baking pan lightly dusted with cornmeal to prevent sticking.
Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings, bake and enjoy.
Favorite Pizza Toppings
- Pizza Sauce – I love my quick and easy homemade pizza sauce recipe. It keeps well in the refrigerator or cubes in the freezer for each weeknight meal!
- Alfredo Sauce – Speaking of sauces. Have you ever tried Alfredo Sauce on your pizza? Amazing!
- BBQ Sauce – Use BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce for a pulled pork pizza or BBQ chicken pizza, etc.
- Cheese – Our favorite is our Three Cheese White Pizza. It is amazing!
- Pepperoni – Always a favorite! I love to make a classic pepperoni pizza with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. So divine!
- Chicken – I love to use baked chicken that I have shredded and keep in the refrigerator or freezer for a super quick dinner. If you don’t have homemade baked chicken, you can always grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for an easy dinner idea.
- Ground Beef – I also love to keep cooked ground beef in the freezer for a quick meal, it works perfectly on this pizza dough!
- Pulled Pork – Yum! The flavors are amazing when you have homemade BBQ sauce and pulled pork! Add some cheese and thinly sliced red onion and it is out of this world!
- Veggies – I also love a good vegetarian pizza! Load up your pizza dough with your favorite seasonal vegetables for one more delicious dinner!
How Many People Does a 12-14 inch Pizza Serve?
Generally, a 14-inch pizza can be cut into 8 slices and will serve 3-4 people.
Can You Make Pizza Dough Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Prepare your pizza dough as directed and divide into two portions. Then, form each into a dough ball, coat well with olive oil, and store each in the refrigerator in separate covered containers (such as an oiled glass bowl covered with plastic wrap).
How Long Does Pizza Dough Last in the Refrigerator?
Properly stored, pizza dough will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To store it, form the dough into dough ball(s) (this recipe should make enough pizza dough for two 12-14-inch pizzas). Coat each dough ball in olive oil. Place each coated dough ball into a glass bowl that has also been coated in olive oil. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
This works perfectly for making your pizza dough one night to enjoy the next to make dinner even easier!
Can You Freeze Pizza Dough?
Yes! Pizza dough is great to make ahead of time.
To freeze. Simply form the risen dough into a ball, coat it well with olive oil, and then store it in a freezer-safe zip-top bag for up to 3 months.
To use. Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator. Then, use it as normal.
Perfect Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water heated to 110º F
- 2 tablespoons yeast, active or rapid rise
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- corn meal for dusting
- Prep yeast. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a bowl. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add olive oil and honey to the flour mixture.
- Add yeast and mix together to form a soft dough ball.
- Place dough into a glass or stainless steel bowl coated with olive oil. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and place into a 175º – 200ºF oven. Allow to double in size, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and punch the dough down. Cover again with a damp cloth and return to the heated oven to double in size, about 20 more minutes.
- Remove the dough from oven and portion into sizes based on how you plan to use.
- To make pizza: Roll dough and place onto a cornmeal dusted pizza stone. Top with favorite pizza toppings and bake in an oven or on the grill for approximately 20 minutes until crust has turned a light golden brown.
How to Store Pizza DoughTo store. Form the dough into balls. Coat each ball in olive oil. Place each coated dough ball into a glass bowl that has also been coated in olive oil. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. The dough should last in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
How to Freeze Pizza DoughTo freeze. Simply form the risen dough into a ball, coat it well with olive oil, and then store it in a freezer-safe zip-top bag for up to 3 months. To use. Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator. Then, use it as normal.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
There is a pasta and pizza place near me that used to serve a four cheese pizza: mozzarella, ricotta, gorgonzola, and provolone. They stopped making it, but it tasted great and it was the only pizza I liked. I recommend trying this combination for Sam. I am going to make your pizza since it also sounds terrific. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much for the recommendation! I’ll definitely have to try it. It sounds just like something he’d love! xo
At what point can your pizza dough be frozen?
Most Amazing pizza dough I made , very simple to make it too. I love all of your recipes Robyn, they are always a wonderful add on to my recipe collection!
Thanks so much! So happy you enjoyed it!
Hi.. so anyways, I love this soft and quick dough!not only for fantastic pizza, but today I used this recipe to make soft and skishy hotdog buns! I just weighed out 75g dough for each bun, recipe will yield 10 buns. I didn’t need 10, so I made 2 into regular sandwich buns. 375 for 15 min, brushed with melted butter when they came, and dayum! Perfect!
Thanks for the tip, Steve!
You mention that the dough will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, but also can be stored for up to 2 weeks. Please clarify. BTW, I use your recipes on a regular basis. Thank you!
Melody, the dough should keep in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. I have corrected the post.
This looks like a really good recipe and super easy and tasty. I plan on trying this recipe very soon.
I hope you enjoy the pizza, Amber. Let me know how you like it.
i notice you add the dough to cold stone dont you have to heat the stone first and than add pizza
Judith, you would heat the stone in the oven first.
Looks good and easy
I was just wondering what temperature the oven should be set at for cooking the pizza.
Rick, this recipe was for the dough. For baking instructions and pizza recipes, you may want to look at my Three Cheese White Pizza Recipe, Chicken Artichoke Pizza Recipe, or my Margherita Pizza Recipe. Hope this helps and you find one of these or other pizza recipes I have that you enjoy.