These homemade Chocolate Truffles are decadent and delicious treats! Simple to make from just a few ingredients and easy steps! An indulgent confection that’s great for sharing and a favorite for chocolate lovers!
Homemade Chocolate Truffles are a chocolate lover’s dream! They are creamy, rich, and full of chocolate. They are an impressive confection, yet they could not be easier to make. Butter and heavy cream add such a creamy and smooth texture and a rich taste. They can be customized for different holidays with various optional toppings.
And these chocolates make an impressive gift. They are decadent and delicious – and for as long as I can remember, Chocolate Truffles have been a favorite chocolate confection for special occasions and holidays.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
This delicious recipe is easy to make and only has a few ingredients. It is also how I make my recipe for chocolate ganache filling. To make these truffles, you’ll need the following:
- heavy cream – Gives a rich taste and creamy texture to the truffles.
- butter – Some truffles only have heavy cream and chocolate, but I’ve found that butter is essential for both flavor and the creamy texture.
- chocolate chips – You can use milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips, or a combination of them, according to your preference.
- brewed coffee – This is optional – but I highly recommend it. It intensifies the richness of the chocolate.
- kosher salt – Is also optional – I find it helps to balance the chocolate, but it is not required.
- optional toppings – cocoa powder, confectioner’s sugar, crushed peppermint candies, chopped nuts such as pecans, pistachios, almonds, or toasted coconut
Melt butter into the heavy cream. Add heavy cream and butter to a small saucepan and heat on low heat until the butter has melted and the cream is warmed throughout.
Combine ingredients with chocolate. Add chocolate chips to a large glass or nonreactive bowl. Pour the warmed cream and butter mixture over the chocolate chips. Add in the brewed coffee and a pinch of salt. Then let it sit a bit! Allow to stand for about 3-5 minutes to soften the chocolate chips completely.
Stir til smooth and chill. Stir briskly to combine and until smooth. Pour into an airtight container and chill thoroughly for about 1 to 2 hours.
Roll into balls. Scoop portions of the chilled chocolate ganache mixture with a tablespoon or small scoop. Form and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands.
Coat truffles. If desired, roll truffles in optional toppings, like cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar, crushed candy, or chopped nuts.
Cover or place in an airtight container. Store on the counter in a cool room for about 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Perfect Gift for Holidays and Special Occasions
Chocolate truffles have long been a popular purchase for holidays, anniversaries, and special events. Since they are so simple to make with just a few ingredients, make your own instead of buying them! Homemade chocolate truffles are even more delicious than store-bought ones and contain only a few ingredients. They make great gifts!
Birthdays and Celebrations – Decorate these as simply as you wish or as colorful as you like, from a simple coating of cocoa powder or chopped nuts to colorful sprinkles.
Easter, Anniversaries and Showers – For a bridal shower, spring luncheon, wedding anniversary, and Easter, I enjoy toasted coconut, crushed toffee, or chocolate sprinkles for the coating.
Valentine’s Day – Chocolate is just perfect for this holiday! For this occasion, I use classic confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder coating for our truffles.
Christmas – I sometimes encase them in crushed candy canes or red and green sprinkles for a holiday touch. We also love to coat them in roasted pecans or pistachios to bring in a bit of that perfect salty and sweet combination.
The possibilities are endless – so roll your truffles in your favorite coating to suit the holiday or birthday you are celebrating! Enjoy!
More Favorite Chocolate Recipes
Here is how we make our Chocolate Truffles. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Chocolate Truffles Recipe
- 1 small scoop, or tablespoon
- 1 cup (238 g) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) butter
- 2 cups (340 g) chocolate chips, milk chocolate, semi-sweet or dark
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) brewed coffee, optional
- 1 pinch (0.4 g) kosher salt, optional
- Optional toppings: confectioner’s sugar, crush peppermint candies, chopped pecans, pistachios, almonds, or toasted coconut
- Add heavy cream and butter to a small saucepan and heat on low heat until the butter has melted and the cream is warmed throughout.
- Add chocolate chips to a large glass or nonreactive bowl. Pour the warmed cream and butter mixture over the chocolate chips. Add in the brewed coffee and a pinch of salt. Allow to stand for about 3-5 minutes to soften the chocolate chips completely.
- Stir briskly to combine and until smooth.
- Pour into an airtight container and chill completely
- Scoop portions of the chilled chocolate ganache mixture with a tablespoon or small scoop. Form and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Roll into desired coatings.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.