Hot Ham, Cheese and Spinach Sammies Recipe
Hot ham, cheese and spinach sammies make a delicious appetizer perfect for entertaining.
I’ve been thinking about what to have on my Thanksgiving menu, for the appetizers, main course and the desserts and let me just say, I’m ready for that meal already! Turkey, dressing, and all those glorious sides – we’ll be enjoying every single solitary bite!
In addition to our customary turkey, my Grandmother would serve a ham alongside her turkey in order to have enough meat to serve her large family without having multiple turkeys. I also think it was a popular choice with my Granddaddy so that there was another option for sandwiches the next day.
I was talking with my husband about Grandmother’s ham the other night as we discussed what we were having for Thanksgiving and a few days later he asked me if we could add a ham to the menu, too.
My mind went immediately to what dishes I could make with those leftovers.
Yeah, it went to Southern Ham Biscuits and then I knew I wanted to do something even easier. Something that would be perfect for a light supper or even a snack the next day as we are watching football games.
So let me tell you about these simple hot ham, cheese and spinach sammies that you’ve just got to try! It’s a simple, but oh so delicious twist on the hot ham and cheese sandwiches that have been around for years.
For this sandwich, go ahead and bake your package of Parker House rolls according to the package directions. Then, remove them from the oven and immediately assemble your sandwich. The heat from baking the rolls will slightly melt your cheese without totally wilting the spinach. The combination makes for a mighty delicious appetizer for a crowd or meal for your family.
You’ll love these hot ham, cheese and spinach sammies.
Simple Hot Ham, Cheese and Spinach Sammies
- 24 rolls
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced cheese swiss and provolone
- 2 cups baby spinach
For the Spread
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly butter or spray a 9x13 baking dish. Split open the rolls and place the bottom half of the rolls into the prepared baking dish.
- Layer half of the ham, the spinach, cheese, and the remainder of the ham on the bottom of the roll and top with the top of the roll.
- Whisk together all the butter, mustard, poppy seeds, dried onions, and Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos) until well combined to create the sauce. Pour the sauce over the top of the rolls and bake until the cheese has melted and the tops of the sandwiches are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.