This spaghetti squash lasagna recipe is everything you love in lasagna with the low carb benefits of spaghetti squash!
Can I share something with you?
Like Garfield the cat, lasagna is my weakness.
And no wonder, just the thought of all that creamy, cheesy, meaty deliciousness is enough to make any man, woman, child or, in Garfield’s case, cat fall in love with it.
But, since I’m also just as fascinated by the use of spaghetti squash as a substitute in pasta recipes, I decided to use spaghetti squash in my favorite lasagna recipe. But lightened up a bit.
In the recipe, I provide the substitutions that I used to lighten up the recipe, but if you are just interested in using spaghetti squash in place of the lasagna noodles, then you could always use the lasagna ingredients listed in my original lasagna recipe. It’s absolutely amazing, but oh my heavens, guys! The lightened up version is simply scrumptious in every sense of the word!
Here’s my spaghetti squash lasagna recipe. I think you are going to absolutely love it!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash cooked using your favorite method
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 can 16-ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 cans 6-ounce tomato paste
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim cheddar cheese
- Prepare spaghetti squash using your favorite of the three methods (slow cooker, oven, or microwave), making sure to cut into halves and scoop out seeds when cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place cooked spaghetti squash with insides facing up onto a rimmed baking sheet. Use a fork and shred the spaghetti squash, leaving about ¼ of an inch around the shell of the squash for stability. Remove the spaghetti squash strands to a bowl to be used later in the meat mixture. Set aside while preparing the lasagna mixture.
- Cook ground turkey and turkey sausage, in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain meat and then add garlic, basil, oregano and diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the meat, stirring to combine well. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Mix the spaghetti squash strands with the meat mixture.
- In another bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, egg, Parmesan cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Ladle the 1/2 of the meat mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish, scoop dollops of the Greek yogurt mixture on top of the meat mixture and then top with the remaining meat mixture. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.
- Allow to stand about 3-5 minutes before serving.