Sweet Potato Casserole graces my family table every fall. With it’s rich, buttery taste and crunchy, sweet pecan topping makes for a perfect side dish, but is sweet enough to serve as a dessert.
Or both. You know, sometimes when you find something that works for both, you just have to go with it. Right?
Normally, we serve it in one large casserole dish, but I love having it as individual servings. With individual servings, everyone gets their fair share of the of that crunchy, sweet pecan topping. No family feuds will break out. Well, at least not about someone getting more topping than the other.
The smell of sweet potato casserole with sweet pecan topping makes your entire house smell amazing. Better yet, your family and guests will try to figure out how to get every last bite our of the dish. Just watch them when you serve it. I promise, they’ll be trying to figure it out. Just watch.
Here’s how I make it.
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Scrub and boil 5 medium sweet potatoes until tender.
- Cool, peel and mash.
- Add butter, vanilla, milk and eggs and mix well.
- Pour into large casserole dish or individual dishes.
- Mix brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter together and spread evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Cook for 30 minutes until topping has browned.
- Remove from oven and serve.
What one side dish is always on your Thanksgiving table?