This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread makes a delicious recipe full of the goodness of zucchini, the richness of chocolate and is perfect for serving anytime!
This Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe makes such a decadent, yet simple bread! Perfect for serving for breakfast, brunch or dessert and is one of my favorite zucchini recipes!
One of my favorite ways to incorporate a little bit of green into our baked goods is with zucchini. I remember growing up, Mama would make her zucchini bread throughout the summer and I always thought it was absolutely delicious. When I had my own kitchen and made my own, I loved creating this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread! It’s so decadent, simple to make and can be served anytime!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
This recipe makes an ultra-moist bread recipe that can easily pass for cake. And it’s a great way to get more vegetables into my family while using that most prolific zucchini from the garden.
My chocolate zucchini bread also uses melted coconut oil which does leave a slight coconut scent and flavor to the bread. You can substitute softened butter and cream it with the sugar if you prefer or could even use a lighter flavor oil such as grape seed instead.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
To make this bread, you’ll need:
- coconut oil
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- espresso powder
- zucchini – finely grated, unpeeled
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips – these are optional
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat and Prep. To make this bread, start by preheating your oven to 325º F. Prepare a loaf pan with butter or shortening and lightly flour. Set the pan aside.
- Combine Ingredients and Mix. Cream together the coconut oil and sugars until they are well combined. Then add the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is well incorporated and the mixture is well combined before adding the next egg. Then add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and espresso powder and slowly combine with the egg mixture. Next, stir in the grated zucchini, vanilla and chocolate chips, if using them.
- Bake. Next, add mixture to loaf pan and place in preheated oven. Bake until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center, about 1 hour.
- Cool and Serve. Allow bread to cool in the pan for about five minutes. Then turn bread out onto a serving tray, slice and serve.
- Store. Store the cooled bread under a cake dome or in an airtight container.
Does Chocolate Zucchini Bread Freeze Well?
Yes! It is very freezer friendly! I’ve always make several of them when my garden is abundant with zucchini to enjoy throughout the year.
Let the zucchini bread cool completely. Wrap it well in plastic wrap and then foil.
Place the bread into a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight with wrapping intact. Remove from the refrigerator, allow to come to room temperature, and slice and serve.
Store under a cake dome.
Other Favorite Breads
Here’s my chocolate zucchini bread recipe. I think your whole family will go nuts over it!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated, unpeeled zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Prepare a loaf pan with butter or shortening and lightly flouring. Set aside. Cream together coconut oil and sugars until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, making sure well combined before adding the next. Add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and espresso powder and slowly combine with egg mixture. Stir in grated zucchini, vanilla and chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 1 hour. Allow bread to cool in the pan for about five minutes before turning out onto a serving tray.
- Store under a cake dome or in an airtight container. Freezes well.
Just made this and had a slice warm – heaven! It’s so delicious, deeply chocolate-y and soft.Pip
Will definitely make this again!!