Strawberry Shortcakes with Sweet Cream Cheese Biscuits make a simple, yet scrumptious dessert recipe perfect for spring and summer!
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! It is one of Bart’s absolute favorites from the Add a Pinch cookbook and is always one of the desserts that when I serve it, people just love it!
But, let’s just say it together: Strawberry Shortcake with Sweet Cream Cheese Biscuits! How delicious does that sound?
The cream cheese makes the biscuits tender and flakey and there is just enough sugar to give the biscuits a touch of sweetness. I think you’ll love them right by themselves, but topped with juicy strawberries and whipped cream? Yes, please!
This is one of those recipes that is great for Easter, Mother’s Day, and all of those spring and summer get togethers! It is definitely one that I turn to time and again when company comes since it takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish! How great is that?
We had them for my segment on In the Kitchen with David on QVC this past weekend and you just have to see his reaction to them to make you want to hurry up and make them for yourselves! 🙂
Also, one more thing before we dig in to this recipe, if you’ve pre-ordered the cookbook (by March 28th), do take a minute or two to go download the bonus meal plans that I’ve created for you from the cookbook. I think you’ll love it! Also part of the bonus are signed bookplates that will be sent to the first 500 people who submit their pre-order information. My publisher will ship those signed bookplates out to you so that you have them to place in your book!
I begin by tossing my hulled and sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. The sugar just helps the strawberries to release their sweet juices! If your strawberries aren’t especially sweet, you can of course add just a little bit more, if needed.
Then, to make the cream cheese biscuits, I start with self-rising flour and then add a little salt, a little sugar, softened cream cheese and butter and combine it all with a pastry blender. Then, I add my milk and stir until the biscuit dough is just combined. I dust a pastry cloth (or paper towels work in a pinch) with a little bit of flour and turn my biscuit dough out onto the floured cloth. I knead gently about three turns and then fold each side of the dough into the center and roll until the dough is about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out rounds of the dough using a 3-inch cutter and then place the dough onto a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
I like to make my whipped cream either while the biscuits are baking or even earlier in the day so that I have everything ready for assembling my strawberry shortcakes!
Here’s the recipe for my Strawberry Shortcakes with Sweet Cream Biscuits! I think you’ll love them as much as we do!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour + more for dusting
- pinch of kosher salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature, cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons frozen salted butter, grated
- ½ cup whole milk
- Perfect Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 475º F.
- Toss together the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate while you make the biscuits and whipped cream and until ready to serve.
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, the flour, salt, cream cheese, and butter with a pastry blender in a medium bowl. Pour in the milk and stir until just well combined.
- Dust a pastry cloth (or paper towels) lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the floured cloth and knead gently about 3 turns. Fold each side of the dough into the center. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll the dough ½-inch thick. Cut out rounds of the dough using a 3-inch cutter, taking care not to twist the cutter. Place the biscuits on an uncreased rimmed baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Assemble each of the shortcakes. Split open the sweet cream cheese biscuits and top the bottom halves with the strawberries and some of their juice and a dollop of whipped cream. Place a biscuit top on each stack and repeat the layering of the strawberries, juices and whipped cream. Spoon more strawberry juices over the whipped cream and serve.