This Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe makes a quick and easy comforting meal! Layers of crispy tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken, and toppings make this a crowd favorite!
Comforting Tex-Mex classics like tacos, nachos, and chicken enchiladas are always a favorite at my house and this fun Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a great twist on the classic! Quick, easy and so delicious, it is always a favorite!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Ingredients
Making this easy weeknight dish is to simple! You’ll need the following ingredients:
- olive oil – you’ll use your favorite olive oil in a skillet to crisp up your tortillas. If you’d prefer to omit the oil, you certainly can. You can also substitute the olive oil with butter or your favorite oil.
- tortillas – you’ll want to use your favorite soft flour or corn tortillas. I like to use medium tortillas so that more surface of the casserole is covered with each tortilla.
- chicken – you will be using cooked and shredded chicken for this recipe. I like to have chicken cooked ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container to help with my meal prep. You can also use rotisserie chicken or use my Instant Pot Chicken method for cooking your chicken quickly.
- Stone House Seasoning – I make my Stone House seasoning mix in a large batch and keep nearby the stove to add flavor to dishes in a snap. If you do not have a batch on hand, I urge you to add that to you must-do list. If you are making it just for this recipe, you can use 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder.
- enchilada sauce – for the enchilada sauce you can use my homemade recipe (I love this blender enchilada sauce recipe!) or you can use store-bought if you prefer.
- sour cream or Greek yogurt – you can use sour cream or Greek yogurt based on your personal preference in this recipe.
- cheese – a blend of cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese makes this casserole so, so good!
- cilantro – completely optional, but I love to top my chicken enchilada casserole with chopped fresh cilantro before serving. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, you can also use chopped green onions or even parsley to add a little green to the dish.
How to Make Enchilada Casserole
You’ll begin by quickly crisping your tortillas in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Use the oil or butter of your choice to help the tortillas crisp even more fully. Once each tortilla is crisp, use tongs and transfer it to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat until all of your tortillas are ready.
Pour 1/2 cup of your enchilada sauce into a 9×13 baking dish. Layer in two of your crispy tortillas, add a bit more enchilada sauce, then half of your chicken, and dollops of your sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Top with half of your cheese mixture.
Repeat with a second layer, ending with cheese mixture.
Bake until the cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Top with cilantro, if desired.
Make Ahead Instructions
To make ahead, simply assemble the casserole as instructed without baking. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, until ready to bake. When ready to bake, remove the wrap and bake as instructed. Serve warm.
What to Serve with this Recipe
For a full meal, we love to serve this chicken enchilada casserole recipe with:
Other Quick and Easy Chicken Recipes
Here are a few other quick and easy chicken recipes that I think you’ll love.
Chicken Enchiladas – Kid-friendly!
Baked Chicken Breast – a classic!
Here’s my Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe. I hope you love it!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- olive oil
- 6 medium tortillas
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Drizzle olive oil into bottom of 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add a tortilla, one at a time, to the skillet. Cook until crisp on each side and place onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- Mix together the shredded chicken and the Stone House Seasoning. Set aside.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish. Place 3 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, overlapping them slightly at the edges to make all 3 tortillas fit lengthwise. Ladle on additional enchilada sauce, about 1/2 cup. Layer on chicken mixture, making sure to spread mixture evenly over tortillas and enchilada sauce. Top with large dollops of sour cream. Sprinkle on a little of both cheeses.
- Repeat layering with more tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken, sour cream, and end with cheeses. Bake in oven until cheeses have melted, about 20 minutes. Topped with chopped cilantro (optional) and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
The directions say to line the baking sheet with paper towels. Why would you do this and surely you wouldn’t cook it this way??
Cindy, you place each tortilla after it has crisped onto a paper towel lined baking sheet to rest until you are ready to start layering them in the casserole dish. You do not cook them on the paper towel lined sheet. I’m sorry this was confusing to you.
Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I was confused.
Made this tonight and it’s absolutely delicious! My family loved it so I will definitely be making it again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I’m so glad your family loved this, Leigh! Thanks.
Our family really likes this recipe, thank you so much!!!
I’m so glad, Lisabeth! Thanks.
Thank you, Lisabeth. I’m so glad your family likes this casserole.
Thank you for sharing this recipe – we loved it! Nice and easy, the enchilada sauce was delicious. I served it with a green salad. My husband is taking some of the leftovers for lunch today!
Thank you, Vicky. I’m so happy you and your family like this recipe.