Creamed spinach makes a delicious side dish that goes perfectly with so many recipes. Get this easy creamed spinach recipe you’ll use again and again.
If you’d told me when I was a teenager that I would actually one day love spinach to the point that I planned a meal around it, I would have thought you were crazy. But, here I am all grown up with a love for spinach that still surprises even me.
My Daddy would always sing the song from the Popeye cartoon as Mama would place a bowl of spinach on our table. His imitation of Popeye’s voice always made me laugh and wonder if a bite would really make me instantaneously strong as it did that good ole cartoon character.
As I have gotten older, I’ve learned that just one cup of spinach does indeed have some amazing benefits.
Did you know that spinach is one of the most nutrient dense foods available? Each cup of raw spinach contains about 41 calories while packing in Vitamin K, A, C, Iron, Magnesium, and Calcium, among others. Since it is such a nutrient dense food, I love serving spinach in various dishes throughout the week and this creamed spinach is always a favorite.
Ready in well under 15 minutes, creamed spinach makes a wonderful addition to even the quickest of suppers and is the perfect side dish with beef, chicken, and yes – even turkey! It makes a great addition to your holiday table.
Here’s how I make my creamed spinach recipe.
Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Wash fresh spinach and place into a large skillet with about 1/2 cup of water. Cook for about 2 to three minutes. Remove from heat and strain to remove water. Chop spinach.
- Melt butter in skillet and add spinach back to skillet. Add garlic, nutmeg, salt, pepper and heavy cream. Cook until the cream has reduced by about 1/2, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
More delicious dishes with spinach:
- Crustless Quiche with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Spinach
- Salmon Eggs Benedict
- Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Green Smoothie with Spinach