You can just about always find buffalo chicken wings in any tailgate spread on game day, but I thought this classic needed a little bit of a twist.
While my husband loves his chicken wings dripping in spicy buffalo sauce, my son prefers them without any, and I only like just the hint of the buffalo flavoring.
So, similar to Goldilocks, I tried and tried different ways until I found the one that was just right.
Tip #1, only use the chicken drummettes. It just keeps them easier to eat and guess what else? You don’t wind up having to pick through for any meat!
Tip #2, serve them naked. Don’t dip them in any sauce or pour the buffalo sauce over them. This lets each person have their chicken bites the way they want them!
Tip #3, have lots of sauce options! Make a large bowl of classic buffalo sauce, blue cheese dip with large bits of blue cheese, and my personal favorite – buffalo ranch dip.
And here’s the best tip of all – cook plenty! They disappear fast!
Game Day Chicken Bites Recipe
- 5 pounds chicken drumettes
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- Pour cooking oil into a cast iron skillet until the oil reaches about 2 inches on the side of the skillet.
- Heat oil over medium heat until a drop of water dripped into the oil sizzles.
- Place chicken in skillet in an even layer. Do not allow the chicken to touch.
- Cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side.
- Remove from the skillet and drain on a cooling rack placed on a kitchen sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in a 200 degree oven.
- Continue until all chicken has been cooked.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauces.
I hope y’all enjoy these as much as we do!