Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Dip tastes like the buffalo chicken wings we love but without the mess! This easy appetizer is made with just a handful of ingredients in the oven or slow cooker!
My husband loves buffalo chicken wings like you wouldn’t believe. However, at times I have to admit that they are not my favorite thing in the world to eat at the moment. There are times I just can’t enjoy myself and eat them because they are messier than I’d like. Even though the flavors are out of this world delicious! That’s why I love this dip so much!
It has all the flavor and deliciousness of buffalo chicken wings, but without all the mess.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
What is Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a creamy, cheesy dip made of cooked chicken, cream cheese, cheese, blue cheese or ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and a little bit of our homemade Stone House Seasoning for an extra touch. It makes a favorite chicken recipe!
Chicken. You can use chicken that you’ve already cooked, rotisserie chicken or some people also use canned chicken in a pinch.
Buffalo Sauce. For the buffalo sauce, I prefer to use my homemade buffalo sauce since it comes together so easily. Of course you can use store-bought if you prefer.
Cream Cheese. You will use softened cream cheese in this dip. For the cream cheese, you can use a lower-fat cream cheese if you prefer.
Cheese. For the cheese, I highly recommend grating the cheese freshly off of the block as the prepackaged cheeses generally have an ingredient added to the cheese to prevent the cheese shreds from sticking together. This causes the cheese to not melt as nicely in recipes.
Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing. Here’s where you can customize your dip to your favorite buffalo chicken wing flavors! If you prefer your chicken wings with blue cheese dressing, I recommend using that as the dressing in your buffalo chicken dip. If you prefer the flavor of ranch dressing or if you’ll be making for a party, I highly recommend using ranch dressing.
Stone House Seasoning. I make a house seasoning that we call Stone House Seasoning of garlic, salt and pepper that I keep on hand in my kitchen at all times. It adds so much flavor to recipes and makes a huge difference in this buffalo chicken dip I think. If you do not have any on hand, simply use 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder in this recipe.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
I’ve included instructions on how I make it in the oven as well as how I make it in my slow cooker!
Oven Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Method:
Preheat oven. Mix all ingredients, saving 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and bleu cheese crumbles. Pour into medium baking dish. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top of dip and bake for 15-20 minutes or til bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with bleu cheese crumbles if you are using them.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Method:
Prepare your slow cooker insert by spraying lightly with non-stick spray. Mix the ingredients exactly as in the oven method, holding the same amount of shredded cheese for the topping of the dip. Pour into the slow cooker insert and top with the remaining shredded cheese and bleu cheese crumbles. Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn on the low or warm setting for up to 4 hours. You can also cook your chicken in the slow cooker, draining any liquid in the insert after chicken is cooked. Shred the cooked chicken with two forks then proceed with the rest of the mixture as directed! So easy and delicious!
What Do You Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Celery Sticks
- Carrot Sticks
- Pita Chips
- Tortilla Chips
Can You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip Ahead?
You can easily prepare your dip ahead of time to make it even easier! Assemble the dip all the way without baking. Cover with wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator, remove the wrap and bake as instructed.
Can You Freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip?
I do not recommend freezing recipes that are made with cheese as the texture of the cheese becomes a bit gritty when frozen and then reheated. If you need to make ahead of time, I would recommend using the refrigerator method mentioned above.
Other Buffalo Chicken Recipes We Love:
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers
Here’s how I make my Buffalo Chicken Dip. I hope you love it as much as we all do!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken or 1 (10-ounce) can chunk chicken
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup bleu cheese or ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup homemade buffalo sauce recipe or store bought
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese + 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- bleu cheese crumbles optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix together all ingredients except last 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and bleu cheese crumbles and pour into a medium baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of dip.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bleu cheese crumbles, if using.
- Serve with celery sticks, fritos, pita chips, or tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Lightly spray the insert to the slow cooker with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Mix together all ingredients except last 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and blue cheese crumbles and pour into the insert of the slow cooker. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bleu cheese crumbles. Place lid on the slow cooker and turn on to the low or warm setting for up to 4 hours.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives, originally published 2011.