A good chili recipe is an important addition to my fall menu and I decided to make it just a bit differently this weekend. And I loved it! If you like a hearty, meaty chili, I think you’ll love it, too!
This chili recipe makes a great meal you can serve your family and guests before trick-or-treating. Add southern buttermilk cornbread for the perfect combination.
Here’s how I made it.
Drizzle olive oil into a large pot over low to medium heat.
Roughly chop one onion and add into your pot. Let it warm up and get nice and translucent.
Add in garlic and let your onions and garlic just do their thing.
Now, add in sausage. Yep, sausage. It deepens the flavors and makes this chili sing!
Add in ground beef and cook both sausage and ground beef until fully browned. Drain and return to same pot.
Add in spices of cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Give it a thorough stir.
Pour in dice tomatoes with the juices. Stir well.
Stir a can of tomato paste into the chili.
Dump in a can of pork and beans. Yeah, it delicious as a switch from chili or kidney beans. Give it a try sometime. I think you’ll like it, too.
Throw in some fresh thyme and oregano if you’ve got it.
Here’s my hearty chili recipe that I turn to time and again.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sausage
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16-ounce) can pork and beans
- fresh oregano , optional
- fresh thyme , optional
- sour cream, optional
- shredded cheese, optional
- Drizzle olive oil into large pot.
- Cook onions until tender, add garlic and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add sausage and ground beef and brown completely.
- Drain and return ingredients to large pot.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Stir until well-combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low simmer and allow to simmer until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sour cream and cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.