Learn how to make easy homemade croutons from scratch with this simple croutons recipe. They make the perfect for topping salads, soups and more!
Homemade croutons taste so much better than store-bought ones and are so simple, quick and easy to make from scratch. I love that you can easily customize them based on how you are serving them! Made with just 3 ingredients and ready in 10 minutes, they are an essential recipe in my house! They make the perfect topping for a bowl of soup like my tomato soup or to serve on top of a hearty salad.
How to Make Homemade Croutons Recipe
To make my homemade croutons, you’ll only need 3 ingredients or 4 if you modify the seasoning for your basic croutons. You’ll need:
- sourdough bread – this is our preferred bread to use for croutons. You can also use whatever your favorite bread. Other favorites would be a baguette, French bread, or another hearty thick-sliced bread.
- olive oil – use your favorite olive oil here.
- Stone House Seasoning – we love our house seasoning blend of salt, pepper, and garlic. I keep a large container of it in the kitchen at all times so that we can quickly add flavor to dishes in a snap. If you prefer, you can also just use 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper in place of the Stone House Seasoning.
To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 400º F. Cut your bread into 1/2-inch cubes and place onto a rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle the olive oil on top of the bread cubes and sprinkle them with the Stone House Seasoning. Toss to coat the bread crumbs with the olive oil and seasoning.
Bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and use in your favorite soup and salad recipes.
How to Store this Recipe
Allow the croutons to cool completely and then store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Delicious Crouton Options
- Parmesan Croutons – Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese to the olive oil and Stone House Seasoning. Toss all to coat the bread cubes and bake as directed.
- Chili Cheese Croutons – Add 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder and 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese to the olive oil and Stone House Seasoning. Continue with the recipe as directed.
- Ranch Croutons – Substitute Ranch Seasoning for the Stone House Seasoning called for in the recipe. Continue with the recipe as directed.
Here’s my easy Homemade Croutons Recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Homemade Croutons Recipe
- 3 cups sourdough bread cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Add sourdough bread cubes to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and add Stone House Seasoning. Toss well to coat the bread cubes on all sides. Spread into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm or allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.