This Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is easy to make in minutes and gives the most delicious flavor to tacos and more! With only five real ingredients and no fillers, it’s healthier and tastes so much better than store-bought!
We absolutely love tacos and so many Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes in my house, and I use this taco seasoning recipe a lot! Some favorites are my quick and easy tacos and my chicken taco soup. So, my taco seasoning mix is on hand all the time.
As much as we love these recipes, I do not use store-bought taco seasoning packets to season my dishes. They can contain preservatives and fillers such as corn starch and others. I make my own.
My delicious and easy homemade taco seasoning contains only five ingredients and is preservative-free and gluten-free, so I know exactly what is in it – and what is not! So, I keep this and many other kitchen staples like homemade BBQ sauce and homemade vanilla extract on hand.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Just 5 Ingredients – Uses only a handful of ingredients that are easy to find and you most likely have in your pantry!
No Fillers, No Preservatives, and No Sugar – There are no fillers like corn starch (often a GMO ingredient) or sugar. And there’s no MSG or other preservatives!
Quick and Easy – Whisk the ingredients together and then use or store your mix!
Delicious Flavor – Real, flavorful spices allow the delicious tastes to shine through!
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Salt (optional)
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Measure each of the ground spices and salt. Then, combine them all in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all ground spices together until well blended with a whisk or fork.
- Use and store – Use immediately and/or decant the taco seasoning into an airtight container.
Tips for the Best Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Start with fresh spices. Check the expiration dates of each individual spice and smell them. They should smell strong, with no “off” smells. If any of the spices have lost their potent aroma, they are past their prime.
- Buy high-quality spices. You will get a taco seasoning with incredible taste by choosing great quality spices.
- Store Properly. Keep the taco seasoning in a storage container with an airtight lid. I like glass. Store it away from light and any moisture.
To store. Place your blended seasoning in an airtight spice container with a lid that seals well. Store away from light and moisture for best results. This taco seasoning mix is best and the most fresh when used within one year.
Ways to Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Use on all types of tacos, taco soup, and taco cups.
- Before grilling, sprinkle it on chicken, shrimp, pork chops, and even vegetables.
- Mix it in ground beef or ground turkey and add to taco salad and more.
- Add a pinch of taco seasoning to pinto beans or black beans for some extra spice.
- Sprinkle it on sweet potato fries. It’s so good!
- Mix a little bit of it in ranch dressing for an extra kick of flavor.
Great Homemade Gift
Prepare taco seasoning mix and then funnel into glass spice jars with airtight lids. Attach printed labels and share them with friends or neighbors.
- Make a baking-themed gift basket with other homemade spice mixes and flavorings like Pumpkin Pie Spice or Apple Pie Spice and Vanilla Extract.
- Create a gift basket for cooking with this taco seasoning, a jar of spicy brown sugar dry rub, Stone House Seasoning, and maybe even a jar of Homemade Hot Honey.
- Remember to include a note with my website address so they can see all the recipe ideas using these homemade goodies. Such a heartfelt and practical present!
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is gluten-free, but you must check your individual spices to make sure they are pure, quality spices to ensure that none of them contain gluten.
You can use less salt or completely omit the salt in the recipe to make it low-sodium.
There are no preservatives such as MSG and other preservatives in this homemade taco seasoning recipe. Since you choose the individual spices to make this homemade spice mix, be certain that they are high-quality and do not contain any preservatives individually.
More Tex-Mex Favorite Recipes
If you tried this Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- Combine ingredients. Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use and store. Use immediately and store any remaining taco seasoning in an airtight container for up to a year.
Storage TipTo store. Place your blended seasoning in an airtight spice container with a lid that seals well. Store away from light and moisture for best results. This taco seasoning mix is best and the most fresh when used within one year.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.